Ozark , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Ozark Camping Reviews
Quiet and relaxing

We spent two nights here in late March. We ended up being unlucky and having 7 inches of rain while we were there. Fortunately, it came in waves and mostly rained overnight. The park is very nice. The campground is pretty nice. It looks like the cabins are the main draw of this park.

Pros: It's beautiful, quiet, and has a sweet dam.

Cons: You have to drive within the park to get anywhere, the spots are hard as heck to back into, and the is 0 cell reception. I repeat, 0 CELL PHONE RECEPTION. That's not that big of a deal but we didn't expect it and it complicated things slightly for us.

All in all, we loved It and will probably go back

Awesome trip

Stopped here for 2 nights on a long trip from WV to AR. So glad we did! Nice camping, but the cave was so awesome to tour. Fascinating how they mined the salt-petre to manufacture gunpowder.

Close to Visitor Center, Trails and food

Loved  this place.  Less than 10 minute walk to the Visitor Center, restaurant, ice cream shop and camp store.  US Post Office on site will stamp your mail with the Mammoth Cave cancellation stamp.  Many sites are drive through, no electric or water at site, lots of trees so little solar power collection.  Large sites with space between. The caves are not fully open with COVID but the self guided tour was great.  Rangers around to answer questions.  Hiking paths are of every type, easy paved to  high rugged.  Wild life is mostly white tail deer, squirrels, chipmunks and birds.  Easily could spend a week here.

Great weekend

My son and I took a quick weekend trip here with a friend and his son. The campsites were spacious, bathrooms were clean, the cave was great, and there was some awesome hiking spots as well. We’re going to make this an annual trip.

Plenty to explore!

I enjoy the different cave tour options. Everyone is has always been very informative which makes the experience a great one. We did the Green river boat tour which was cool. We even enjoyed the ferry ride. I went backpacking here in January so there wasn’t many people at all which made it extra peaceful. Still plenty to do at the park so I’ll be back.

Amazing place with quaint cottages to stay in!

Highly recommend this trip and staying in the Mammoth Cave Lodge cottages! Close to the cave tours, Green River, and lots of hiking trails in the area!

Some of the best camping in the Southeast

Big South Fork is the perfect place for the outdoor enthusiast. Literally anything you want to do, you can find it here- horseback riding, ATV riding, hiking, biking, rock climbing, kayaking, backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting, swimming… I could go on, but you get the point. I have spent a lot of time here, and it’s at the top of my list for places in the Southeast. The Big South Fork river is some of the best smallmouth fishing around. I love the backcountry camping in BSF, it’s so peaceful, and beautiful. There are several campsites that people have made stone firepits and log/rock seating, it has the feel of the AT without as many people. The Burnt Mill area is awesome, but the hike can be challenging, but it is so worth it. You can find a great backcountry site off of nearly every trail in there. I love to stop by a local staple for a good cheeseburger basket and a milkshake at Flonnies Drive In on the corner of hwy 63 and hwy 27, if you get the chance, treat yourself!

Beautiful w an odd set up

We loved it here! The spots were spread out and large but the pull through sites all had your camper doors facing the road rather than the fire and your table. Odd set up! The kids loved biking and exploring the woods. It was a bummer there were not trailheads close by! We also had a trek to the garbage.

Variety

I LOVE Pickett CCC!! There is so much to do at this park. At the lake there’s kayak and canoeing where you actually paddle under a natural bridge. There’s a swimming area , geese and fishing. The rock formations are awesome. Then there’s the trails. A suspension bridge, another natural bridge and a cave area. These are easy to moderate trails but can be a little hazardous so watch your step. The campground….well, not my favorite. No shade, very close sites AND on a hill. It was crowded and a little noisy. No privacy, small and busy. There are some nice cabins and some older cabins. Sorta old meets new, cause some of these cabins may have been built by the CCC. There’s a museum on site too. Worth a visit!

Nice campground. Looked like some sites are smaller, but we were in site 99 it was a level pull through site. Only drawback was the road noise from a nearby busy road.