The best TENT SITES camping near
Orell , KENTUCKY

Most Recent Orell Camping Reviews
Small SRA

This is a State Recreational Area in Southern Indiana by Scottsburg. It's small. The smallest reservoir the state manages, but it's a nice place to camp & boat. My husband fishes & he said fishing was fair. He fished from shore. Boats are a big part of this lake. There are 4 boat launches on the lake! Lots of people were water skiing, tubing& playing in the water. There's also a beach, which looked clean. There's minimal Canada Geese on shore.

There's no nature center, but there's a small raptor display. The Raptor Rescue is apparently located nearby.

There's 2 trail areas. Trail 5 goes to the beach. Connected to that, trail 6 makes a .52M loop. Trail 2, 3,& 4 can be done as individual loops or looped together.

The Shale Bluff campground is nice, but there were lots of sites in full sun. Watch the incline of some of the as well. The bathrooms& showers were great! Clean & had been updated in the last 10 years. Electricity at all sites. Water at places throughout the campground.

The best site is site 160 in the primitive campground, Wooster. If you can get by without electricity, it's right on the water. 163 in primitive is also nice.

Shale Bluff Campground has 150 sites with electricity. The best site is 122. Private, shady& you get peeks of the lake between the leaves. Other good sites are 119, 120, 123,& 125. Sites 120& 122 are very nice, but there's 2 trails that take you to the water close to these sites. Other campers use these trails & walk by close, but not actually in your site. If this bothers you, sites 119, 123 & 125 might be better for you. IMO, site 122 was the best! We camped at Hardy Lake State Park in a Travel Trailer.

A nice FOB

I used this location as my FOB for a weekend of hiking in southern Indiana. The campground was nice. Being the first weekend in April, the water wasn’t turned on so there were no modern restrooms/shower houses available. I’d say the camp was 30% capacity over the weekend, relatively quiet in the evenings with light road traffic. The gate staff were exceptional, suggesting a much better sight than I had registered for online.

Great place to take kids

The history is enough to make you want to come back. Feels like you stepped back in time. Gotta play the song at least once a day. Enjoy the clean amenities and revel in the history over a late night camp fire.

Clark state forestry

Nice ,but expensive

Nice quiet lake

Nice lake with outboard motors allowed. We enjoyed the water with out listening to the motors. They are not turning on water until April 15. The campground has some nice spots with cabins and areas for people with horses. Not to big but not to small.

Perfect all around!

I’m on a month camping trek. This is the third place I’ve stopped in the past week. Beautiful area, tent camping and pull thru available. Camp hosts were knowledgeable, helpful, and kind. Store had everything I needed.

The place is beautiful with river view and valley overlooking sunsets every night. Options of wooded or open concept sites. Picnic tables and fireplaces were in good shape. Thunderstorms came though the night by noon everything was dry and perfect.

Everyone in the store when I arrived was welcoming. Answered all my questions. The have fishing licenses available, along with hunting.

Be aware it is a Marina, this said if fishings your deal everything your looking for in the store. If you’re used to being spoiled in state park camp stores, they have wood and ice and food and coffee. Don’t bank on them have that last minute toothbrush you forgot.

This being said the shower house was immaculate. Been camping since I was six months old. Don’t remember all the shower houses but I’ve never seen one this clean and well maintained.

For sure will be visiting again!
Excellent family camping

One of my family's favorite places to go camping. Tons of room for the kids to roam and explore, so many playgrounds they're almost a tripping hazard, and free firewood. We like camping in "Deer Lake" #s 405-408 and "Timberlake" #s 315-318. (Deer Lake is electric, Timberlake is not.)

Water spigots are plentiful, and the campground has maybe a dozen large pavilions you can reserve for free, or scurry into in case of a pop up shower. I've already mentioned the playgrounds, and in addition there's a waterfall, old steel bridge with a connected spiral staircase, and even a village of tiny houses. They recently installed a BMX track, but made the mistake of using large gravel to "pave" it--it's too soft and nearly impossible to ride on quickly.

The only real knock I can give the place is that the sites are REALLY small, and some are not so level--I strongly advise you get at least two to gain separation from your neighbors. They're also sticklers about the numbers of tents on each site--they'll allow more than one but WILL make you pay for each. Sites are not prepped (no tent pads), and have no fire rings so prepare accordingly.

There is a decent creek (Little Blue) and a pond (Deer Lake) you can fish, but I've never managed to pull anything bigger than a small sunfish from the creek, and I've never seen anyone pull anything at all from Deer Lake, including myself. Deer Lake does provide excellent sunsets across the water though.

Overall, with the free firewood and all of the features to occupy the kids, this place is a winner for families. If they'll start giving campers a little more room and would improve the sites a little, it would be perfect.

Great Park

One of our favorite spots to camp. Beautiful trails for hiking, great creek for swimming, close to Louisville.

Nice hidden spot

This is a hidden little gem in the bustle of Louisville. We visited in the off season and during COVID. But the staff were friendly, grounds were clean, sites are very close together. We were happy to spend the night and know we were safe and tucked in. Our son loved the jump pillow, I gave it a try and my knee has been reminding me all day that I’m too old for that!! We would definitely stay again.

Primitive Paradise

This is a centrally located primitive campground that my siblings and I use often for weekend expeditions. The long winding gravel road takes you away from the highway and deposits you in a serene location that is perfect no matter which season you visit. Each site offers ample space for multiple vehicles and occupants; each site also has a picnic table, double lantern hook, and a nice iron fire ring with a swiveling grate. We have spent many weekends here and have never had any issues with any of the other patrons. Each site is $5 a night, they use the honor system, and they have a pit vault bathroom that is usually in pretty clean condition.