The best GROUP camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Creekmore Camping Reviews
Decent.

I was a little underwhelmed compared to what I was expecting from camping at a national park. The positives are the cheap rates and there are bathroom and shower facilities. If you want old fashion tent camping the park does have some backcountry campsites.

The cons are the lack of actual campsites. They are more like parking spaces. Probably to appeal to the people who use campers. The noise of the highway was constant and annoying.

Overall I enjoyed my time staying here. Wish I could have done more backcountry camping but the weather didn't permit it.

Great Spot on Norris Lake

Loyston Point is a great campground on Norris Lake, which is known as one of the nicest lakes around. The campground has multiple lakefront sites, as well as lake view, and several wooded sites, if you are looking for more seclusion. There’s also some small cabins. Something for everyone here!

One thing to be aware of- not all the sites have a water spigot, several spots have a shared spigot, so he sure you have a really long hose if you are camping in an rv. I was in site 50, and was in between the spigots, so I’m not sure my hose would have reached if I were in my camper. Other than that, the campground is amazing. Bathhouses were extremely clean and maintained. Sites were spacious, lots of trees, even on the lakefront sites. Just beautiful.

This area is big for mountain biking also. There’s a parking lot with restrooms and I can almost guarantee it will be full of MTB riders. So much to do here all year round.

Best for Mtn biking

Can’t beat the biking, hiking and water sports! Clean and nice showers. Steps from biking. We stayed at a site right on the water. Not super private but the area and activities make up for the lack of privacy. And whatever you do make sure you visit the Clinch River Brewery just a short drive away.

Lots to see!

We stayed at the main area but not much space or privacy so we put up a tent out side our door, but then moved to the tent camping site area the second night which was more secluded and private, but still close to the showers/bath house. So much hiking and a cool view of the dam is all within walking distance. Nice bath rooms and showers too.

First Snow Camping!!

Having a blast. We are spending 14 days camping here. Explored the area before the snow hit. Great hiking trails. Nice, large campsites, not too close to your neighbors…but fairly typical. Nice big bathroom ( 2 stalls - 1 handicap). Big handicap accessible open room shower. Had to put towel at bottom of door to stop drafts. Hot water…not that hot…could be warmer. Large bench in shower room and hooks for clothes. Small bench seat in shower as well.

Camping is first-come…first-served…no wood for sale at park…but you can buy from anywhere in Lee County. Paddy's Gas Station about 1 mile from here sells wood for $5 for a good size bundle and other necessities.

Hikes for all levels…easy and strenuous.

Very impressed how quickly and often they came through to scrape the roads once the snow started. We got 6-8 inches on Christmas Eve….and next day park roads were passable…without 4wd. 58 looked great.

All in all this is a great place to camp. Everyone around is so nice and polite. Food City is grocery store in nearby Middlesboro, KY that has awesome cafe for buying hot food meals. Great food! Takes 10-15 minutes to get there. Plenty of fast food options there too.

Very convenient location…well kept park. Try it! You'll like it!

Some of the best camping in the Southeast

Big South Fork is the perfect place for the outdoor enthusiast. Literally anything you want to do, you can find it here- horseback riding, ATV riding, hiking, biking, rock climbing, kayaking, backpacking, camping, fishing, hunting, swimming… I could go on, but you get the point. I have spent a lot of time here, and it’s at the top of my list for places in the Southeast. The Big South Fork river is some of the best smallmouth fishing around. I love the backcountry camping in BSF, it’s so peaceful, and beautiful. There are several campsites that people have made stone firepits and log/rock seating, it has the feel of the AT without as many people. The Burnt Mill area is awesome, but the hike can be challenging, but it is so worth it. You can find a great backcountry site off of nearly every trail in there. I love to stop by a local staple for a good cheeseburger basket and a milkshake at Flonnies Drive In on the corner of hwy 63 and hwy 27, if you get the chance, treat yourself!

Lakefront Camping

Loyston Point is a really nice campground right on Norri Lake. There is not a bad site in the whole campground. Most sites have a lake view and the ones that don't are heavily wooded and spacious. I stayed here in November, and the water was low, but it was still a spectacular sunrise. The area is very popular for mountain biking, no matter when you visit, the trailhead lot will likely be full. The lake is probably the cleanest and nicest around, so if you visit in warmer months you will be glad to have access to it. There is a camp store, and I saw at least two bathhouses. The one that was near our site was clean and heated. The sites are all extremely spacious, and many have good trees for hammocks. The sites have shared water hookups, so if you are in an RV, you should be sure to have an extra-long water hose. There are some small cabins for rent here too. I highly recommend this place for lake camping.

Awesome campground

It’s a small but nice well maintained campground. Some of the sites are a little close together but we got one close to the showers but yet far enough away from people. At night it got very quiet and was very peaceful. The best thing is that we were able to see more stars than ever before. They even have a astronomy field for your viewing pleasure. I kinda wish I had taken more photos of the place but we just wanted to enjoy the outdoors with no electronics. Also there isn’t any service inside the campgrounds but the front office does have WiFi if you need it!

Don’t feel lost

Off Ky Rt 80 in Daniel Boone National Forest, keep following the tent signs , they will get you to Little Lick Campground. This is a primitive little campground out in the middle of nowhere, however there are several awesome trailheads in the area, Nathan McClure TH right in the campground.

Bring your horse, bring your trail bike, bring your dogs. You might want to bring a generator too. Not a lot of sites but they are big and you can easily have several tents or hammocks ( if there’s trees) in each spot.

Quiet and dark and STARS.

Much improved

I visited Pulaski County Park several years ago and it was okay. They have made several improvements since then and it is a lot better. The campground is spread across the hills and “bays” of the park. Not crowded right now and the water is WAY down. There is the hilltop “parking lot” pull throughs , the largest part of the campground spread across the knoll , to include water front sites and primitive sites across the road in the trees, also some water front sites. The trails are varied and pretty cool. They twist and turn and cross creeks and hill tops. I won’t say their easy to navigate but it’s doable if you pay attention to the names and direction your going. They are all mountain bike oriented and a few are challenging. The layout of the park is also confusing at times. I’ve been there several times and just recently found another parking area and trailhead. I’m surprised they don’t have a tree top trail or zip line, might be in future plans. The disc golf will take you on quite a hike and to another parking lot and trailhead totally outside the park. And of course there is the water sports/ recreation. I wouldn’t travel from across the country to visit this park, however it is a nice local place to spend a family week/end or just relax.