the dyrt
Belleview (historical), KANSAS
Most Recent Belleview (historical) Camping Reviews
Clean, quiet, family/dog friendly, affordable

This location is well maintained with multiple tent camping spots and a few electric. The owners take great pride in keeping it this way. The mountain bike trails as well as hiking trails are perfect for beginners to experts. It is large enough for wake but we love taking our kayaks out.

Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon, at least not during the busy summer camping season. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

Walnut River Area, Big Oak Campground

You'd think the Big Oak Campground in El Dorado State Park would be amazing. It's shaded with huge trees, nice sized sites some of which are very spread out, a quick walk to the swim beach and a quick drive to put your boat in the water. Unfortunately these pluses are far outweighed by the negatives. First the bathrooms were horrible. I realize they are older restrooms but they smelled awful, they were never obviously cleaned, the showers were not even a tiny bit private, the door to the restroom was broken and had to be propped open with a tree branch. Just over the bridge at the swim beach they were worse and some of the doors in the women’s room were missing. Yuck! Secondly basic campground rules were not enforced at all. The site across from us easily had 30 people camping and were up until 4am with loud music and a bright light on. I’m not kidding, my daughter was up around 3 to use the restroom and we walked by twice. The family in the site next to us had at least 4 cars and 2 tents set up outside the site on the walking path in addition to their two tents in their own site. The dog free swim beach had dogs on it. We camp with our dogs, one of which loves to swim and even I don’t want dogs on a public beach. Our camping weekend was negatively affected by poor camping etiquette and a sever lack of basic rule enforcement. We won’t be back to El Dorado State Park Big Oak campsite any time soon. Cross Timbers and Fall River are much better!

Toto, we’re not coming to Kansas anymore.

BeautifIl campgrynd but too crowded and no enforcement of rules. Bathrooms were terrible. all shower stalls face each other with no curtains. smelled awful, stall doors barely closed. we have stayed in many state parks and this was the worst.

swimming area was ok but no rule enforcement. dumpsters overflowing.

Well maintained but needs more full hookups and more nice showers.

Good place to stay some spots have shade. There is a convenient store down the road and the office does sell a few things like ice and minnows. Need better roads way to much dirt and only one bath house that we would use and it needed to be cleaned.

Been there many times

Most campsites have easy access to the lake. Facilities are dated but, for the most part, clean. Fairly quiet but can get rowdy during holidays.

A place

We are here for a while. I wish they have monthly prices or lower weekly. Not bad for over night stop or a. Few days but not longer. Lol clean park and everyone is friendly just kinda pricey.

Pretty basic but close to home

This is a nice smaller lake that is fairly close to Wichita. Great staff on board. Electric only but the office lets you fill your fresh water tank by the entrance and there is a dump station. Swim beach & great for tent camping. This was the first lake we went to as new RV owners.

Hidden gem!

This is one of our favorite lakes in Kansas we go to! We like setting up camp at both the state park & Corps of Engineers! Lots of shady spots & room. The people at Three Corners Restaurant, Bait Shop, & Store are very nice & sociable. The bait side of the store can give a current fishing report & carry necessary supplies along with a good selection of bait/tackle.

Love the park, not the bait store!

Park is nice & clean! Ross at the main entrance is a great guy with lots of information about the parks & lake. Camp host at Sunflower Meadows was nice & helpful. I would give the park 5 stars but the man at the Bluestem Bait & General Store was very rude! So rude that we made the 12 mile drive back to El Dorado to buy all our supplies & bait at Walmart & Angler's Bait & Tackle. The man at Angler's Bait & Tackle was very helpful & went out of his way to help make our camping & fishing trip enjoyable! Just goes to show that customer service can make you or break you. Will definately be going back to Bluestem Point but not to Bluestem Bait & General Store!

Memorial Day Weekend

This is a popular weekend get-away. It's less than an hour from Wichita, clean, taken care of. There's plenty of options (primitive, water/electric/sewer, picnic use, boat ramps). My experience over the holiday weekends has usually been that's when the rowdy crowd shows up but this campground was comfortable and family-oriented.

El Dorado State Park Bluestem for an easy, laid-back weekend!

Restrooms with showers and dumpsters (for you campsite garbage) are widely available during camping season. The designated swim areas are great for the whole family because there is a wide and far out area that doesn't get too deep while being roped off. NO STICKERS IN THE GRASS AT THE DESIGNATED CAMP SITES!!!!! At some sites, you can fish just feet from your tent. Beware at the box turtle camp site though, a channel runs 3-4 feet out from the shore and drops about 12 feet QUICK so don't swim there! The general store and bait shop at Bluestem is wonderful. If you visit Kansas State Parks frequently, it pays to purchase an annual vehicle permit early in the year when they are discounted rather than pay per day every time you visit.

Great Spot for a Short Trip

We will stay here for overnight trips since it's only about 40 minutes from home. We usually stay on the Walnut River side as there is a large playground with tent sites close enough to keep an eye on the kiddos. They also have a swim area on this side. Bathroom and shower are next to the playground which is also convenient for us. There are some cool little hiking spots to explore. We just kicked off camping season last weekend here.

Nice Little Spot

This is a nice little spot that's pretty close to home for us. It's got 2 swim beaches, one on each side. Not too many large boats since it's a small lake, last summer they had paddle boards for rent. Most campsites have a fire pit & picnic table & are waterfront. Firewood is available for purchase on site. There's a pretty little waterfall that's easy to hike to that my kids like to play in. Great for a quick overnight trip.

Always our go to spot!!

We normally camp here every weekend that we are able to as it’s a short drive for us. Camp hosts are very friendly and it is well taken care of. They just added new shower houses and are really improving what was already a great place to camp.

Clean Area

Spent an October weekend here and had a great time with the kids fishing, hiking, and roasting marshmallows. The wind blewthe entire time stick read kind of annoying, but if we were in the woods it didn't really bother us. Just need to pick a better campsite next time.

Everything was clean and well maintained. Some of the trails were a little overgrown at times.

Hiking Nearby

Didn't go to far on the trails, but the maps show a number of backcountry sites one can backpack into. Trails were fairly well maintained though a little overgrown at times.

Graet Little Area

Three nice campgrounds, large playground, fishing and a swim beach. Worth the stop with the kids.

Fun Area

This Park is closer to home so just took my son on a quick fishing/camping overnigh for his birthday. Stayed at the Walnut River Area, the Blue stem area was still closed down for winter in April. Lots of good places to fish on this reservoir, fish weren't biting so we spent quite a bit of time riding our bikes around the area. There is a large playground for kids, a nice swim beach away from the main lake, an archery range, and they are building a pistol/ rifle range next to the ranger station for public use.

Fun Area

Went Labor Day Weekend. I had called ahead since there were no reservations remaining. Come to find out they reserve a good number of campsites just for walk ups. Good to know when camping at Kansas State Parks

Clear water and breath taking scenery

Aways enjoyable super clear water this place is a premier fishing destination especially for predator fish but great fishing no matter what your looking to hook into the camping is just as enjoyable with nice and open campgrounds that are close to the water the more simple your camping method the more enjoyable this place is for the tent spots are the best spots this place could use a few more trees but it's not a deal breaker because the beauty of this place is out of this world

Chill Little Lake

This lake is a nice break from places like Cheney and Afton. It's small so there aren't a lot of big boats disturbing the water, which makes paddling a lot more enjoyable. Our campsite had a nice little launch spot which made things super simple.

The only real downside is that there is no alcohol allowed, but nobody really came around checking that we noticed. We also didn't leave beer cans scattered all around so that probably helped.

Unexpected Beauty in the KS Flint Hills

Came here for a last minute trip for the 4th of July. I found online reservations confusing, but I called the Park Office and they were very helpful. Found a spot easily, which I didn't expect due to the holiday weekend. The park rangers directed us to a quieter spot, right by the lake. Gorgeous. Bathrooms were easily accessible and clean. Electrical outlets were harder to find, but we were at a primitive site so I expected it. I will definitely come here again.

Lovely lakeside sites in the scenic Flint Hills of Kansas

The relatively private campsites were mostly empty on a mid-September weekend. Plenty of shady primitive sites all along the north shore, ample parking, a small seasonal swimming beach, a boat ramp & dock, lots of fishing piers, and a decent size reservable group shelter for gatherings. The one vault toilet near the info kiosk is the only restroom facility. There is little to no light pollution out here, so enjoy stargazing and the moon set against an immense dark sky. Definitely walk across the dam from the road to the short trail to the waterfalls. The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve and the little towns of Cottonwood Falls and Strong City are just a few minutes away by car. Take a drive on the Flint Hills Scenic Byway at sunrise/sunset on Highway K-177 which stretches north to Council Grove and south to Cassoday from Cottonwood Falls. You could also check out the Flint Hills Wildlife Drive that starts just off Hwy K-177 on Sharp Creeks Road in Bazaar and goes south to Cassoday (country roads, make sure your tires are in good shape).

History: the 109-acre lake and 383-acre wildlife area were created in 1954.

Overall a beautiful location and pleasant experience. I'd go back again!

Ranger Review: Mountain House Macaroni & Cheese at El Dorado State Park - Bluestem, KS

Campground Review: I stayed at El Dorado State Park - Bluestem Point camping area. It was a lot better than I expected. The lake was large and you could tell that the banks of the lake had flooded the campsites on the shoreline. I expected a lot of bugs but it wasn't bad.

The showers and bathrooms were like a swimming pool shower built in the 70's. There was no roof but everything is enclosed. The lake is really peaceful, and even though the state park boasts over 1200 campsites, I was all by myself with no one in sight.

It is a very peaceful place.

Gear Review: As a top reviewer on TheDyrt, I have an opportunity to review outdoor gear and products. While at El Dorado I gave the Mountain House Macaroni and Cheese a try and was very satisfied.

It's easy to prepare, boil two cups of water, pour it into the pouch and let it sit for about ten minutes after you have stirred the contents of the pouch.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars, it was really good. Honestly, it tasted a lot like Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese. The only real problem, no matter how much you stir you cannot get every noodle to rehydrate, so about ten percent of the noodles are a little crunchy. That is why it gets 4 instead of 5 stars. The flavor is excellent and the texture is 90% there. This is a winner if you are backpacking and want a hot meal that is easy to prepare.

peaceful

great quite place to be with nature

Primitive?

We stayed at little bluestem campground in the Hell Creek area, where we camped in a tent. The lake was beautiful and the weather was nice. we went on a short hike on the dakota trail, which was very well kept. we do not own a boat or mountain bikes so there was not a ton of stuff for us to do. the mountain biking looked really fun. and I bet having a boat would have made it even more fun. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars is because it was mainly for RV's. which me and my other half are not all about. There are about 20 different campsites and Little Bluestem is the ONLY primitive one. we arrived and there were two RV's in the two best spots at the PRIMITIVE campground.

Hilly in Kansas

Pretty and simple site. Rolling hills, lots of birding & wildlife, some trails (none difficult). Went mountain biking here. We stayed Manns Cove where sites are most spread out. Everything clean and as we expected.

Minooka Campground at Lake Wilson, KS

Except for the fact that the water level at this lake is extremely low, our family and friends enjoy the friendliness of this hideaway. On the federal side of Lake Wilson it has decent shower houses, group camping areas, and the staff is friendly and helpful. We use this area to camp 3-4 times a season and always book early make sure we have several spots during peak times. Down side for the unorganized is that it's a 20 minute drive for supply's as well as 20 minutes to get boat in water due to most boat ramps being closed.