The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Bassett , IOWA

32 Reviews

Most Recent Bassett Camping Reviews

This was a nice campground with private sites. We were in site 70e and was very private and close the the showers. Lots of great hiking and forestville is very charming but tours were not running due to COVID. There was no AT&T cell coverage.

Best Memories of My Childhood

I’m probably a little biased. My parents started coming to this park to ride horses in the 70s. We spent at least 3wks every year here when I was a kid trail riding, hiking, even tubing down the Root River (there’s no commercial tubing available and you have to get up and walk through rocky shallow spots, so it isn’t ideal for this, but tell my 10yr old self that).

I stayed here recently in the “people campground.” I hiked 12mi in one day and had a great time. The campsite itself was great—privacy and no loud neighbors. I always make sure to stay in spots without electric if possible to escape the culture and noise that accompanies RV camping. Site #4 isn’t very level, but it backs up to the river and the access trail out of the campground. Forestville never disappoints me—I even randomly ran into my own uncle while hiking!

Good Base Camp to Explore Cedar Falls

It was kind of loud, but it was busy. The lake for swimming was a little gross but we did it anyway. The bike trails are excellent and same for hiking. Bathrooms were a little old but clean when we were there, but there were massive hornets all over the bathroom area. It's also pretty bright here at night because it's right in the city. But overall, a decent, cheap place to tent camp if you want to explore Cedar Falls.

Quiet, secluded

Gravel parking spots, fairly level, most without shade unless you get on the "back loop" where you can find 4 with good shade. All manner of amenities (electric only, water & electric, and a few with full hookups). Bathrooms are clean and well stocked. 4 private showers available…clean. Weekends are typically busier than weekdays.

Small quiet campground

This is a very small campground. The sites are not very private. Have some nice hiking trails and a small lake a short walk from the campground. We were in spot 15 and there was no shade in the morning to early afternoon. There was little to no cell phone coverage for AT&T

Wonderful gem near Forestville state park

Some girlfriends and I wanted to stay at the camp for the weekend and have a place to social distance ourselves. We rented the horse camp sites and we couldn't have been happier. The sites have water and electric. There are high ties for the horses. The sites have a nice gravel pad with a picnic table and fire ring at each site. There is also a dump station that we were able to use before we left on Sunday. None of us had been at this campground before and love trying new places. We are endurance riders so we are used to early nights and up at dawn for riding. This camp was so nice and quiet! We had a nice fire after dinner listening to the water and birds. There were families with children, couples of all ages and well behaved dogs everywhere! The owner Andy as so gracious answering our many emails and questions. He went the extra mile at every turn. We can't thank him and his employee(who's name I sadly can't remember) we're just absolute delights! We will absolutely be back. And we will always check here first to see if their horse sites are open before checking the state camp. It's a very short road ride to the park trails and the campground and their amenities are first rate. I can't wait to return!!!

Oasis in the Cedar Valley

Very nice park in the center of a semi-urban area. Lake access, good kayaking and canoeing, bike and hiking trails, and decent campsites.

I love this campground! Clean, well maintained, and the hosts are very friendly. Trail to the beach is clear, the playground has nice, safe equipment for the little kids. Sad that there were so many back up sites over the holiday weekend, would have liked to have been able to camp here. It being full more than a week before the holiday, shows how great it is.

Big and Beautiful

Great campground. Family and friends get together a must here. Close to the beach, town and the lake has great fish. Reserve early!

Just enough trees

This is a state campground. So as most will know the sites could be better maintained. The bathrooms are updated and nice. When there is heavy rain you will however have your own pond at most sites. I guess you pay for what you get. I love this campground because they are large spots. Close to the beach and fishing is awesome. A big campground but reserve early!