The best WALK IN camping near
Stonegate , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Stonegate Camping Reviews
Commerical, but not packing them in

This is a very popular campground. Lots of big rigs who seem to be staying for quite a while. Our relatives recommended this one since some of their friends use it for "the summer." A very nice, well manicured campground. Though a commercial-style, it does not feel like it. Sites are well spaced. Full trees around the perimeter, but not a lot for shade over the campsites. Water and electrical at every site.  Very easy in and out, for any sized rig.

There have been 2 murders here

I have to admit that I’ve not camped here, but I just downloaded Dyrt and was looking at local sites around where I live and saw this campground posted and felt I needed to be very clear about the conditions here. I’ve driven through, and it’s quite frightening. Just Google the name and read the news articles to get a clear picture of what this place is about. It’s not safe, clean or anyplace someone should camp.

Some really nice spots

The area has lots of RV and Campers strewn about- but the tent spots are spacious and right along the river. I camped there on a great night in early November and had the whole place to my self. Quiet, beautiful, and the staff was very nice.

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Small camp sites, but fantastic facilities and trails, close location

For nature that's close to civilization, Deer Grove Forest Preserve is the best. While the camp sites are small, the amenities are super clean and the rentable cabins are as well. The trails through the grounds are varied and long--you can find something to suit just about any preference for suburban midwest hiking. There are plenty of paved trails as well as dirt, lots of fun little off-shoots into the woods, creeks run throughout, and there's even a little up-and-down thanks to ice age glaciers.

Nice, quiet little place

We stayed here for a weekend. It's a nice place. Campsites are flat. The water hookups are kind of far from the individual sites (make sure you have extra hose).

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Nice enough for a stopover

Well maintained park. We stayed at a tent site, nearby pit toilets are basic with no running water. Odd numbered sites had better shade than evens. The RV sites looked closely spaced but nice enough

Expensive RV park for non-residents

Not worth the drive here to tent camp if you live outside of Kane county. Even their 9 hike-in primitive sites hugging the treeline lack privacy. Yes, all the sites are very flat. It's a nice field if that's what you look for in a campground.

Great view. Poor neighbor.

We decided to stay here - mostly because state parks are closed - and thought military campgrounds have an advantage over public parks.

Not this one. Most of the permanent residents had trash sprawled over their site, let their dogs run lose and didn’t curb them at all. So much so that there were was dog shit next to our power podium. What a welcome.

Needless to say I don’t think we’ll be coming back unless absolutely necessary. Oh wait. It’s not.

Oh. Wonderful views of the lake and way close to the beach on base.