Stonegate , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Stonegate Camping Reviews
Some really nice spots

The area has lots of RV and Campers strewn about- but the tent spots are spacious and right along the river. I camped there on a great night in early November and had the whole place to my self. Quiet, beautiful, and the staff was very nice.

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Nice spot & not far from Chicago

You can tell they’re trying to remodel some of the sites. There is lots of grass so all the rain this weekend and we weren’t muddy was awesome! Big park with tons of spots. The pull throughs were really long. We like dispersed sites so we wouldn’t have like this park ‘in season’ when it’s packed. That being said we’ve already decided this will be our first stop when the season starts again! Water pressure was steady. Power was consistent. Bathroom/shower/laundry rooms were all very clean and well maintained. We couldn’t reach the WiFi from our site but it was good closer to the lake. They also have free TV but we didn’t hook up to that. Having a sewer hook up on site was a welcome change to our typical state park sites we frequent. The road has lots of dips and bumps but going slow they weren’t an issue. We were on the main road and there was lots of traffic going back and forth which was surprising since there wasn’t a lot of campers. They have a huge lake with paved paths that we were able to walk the first night (not raining) and the beach looks like it will be fun to enjoy in the summer.

Nice enough for a stopover

Well maintained park. We stayed at a tent site, nearby pit toilets are basic with no running water. Odd numbered sites had better shade than evens. The RV sites looked closely spaced but nice enough

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other

One night stop right of highway

It was a great way point on our travels. Convenient - right off the highway. Late checkin and easy communication.

Lots of dogs so be prepared for early morning barking.

Nice Family Campground for fishing

I have tent camped here for years. Sometimes we've even just come to fish for the day. I've caught bass and trout mainly along with some small perch and sunfish. The campground gets busy during the summer, but being an ILDNR state-run campground it's open all year with more limited amenities in the off-season. In the summer I like the reservable sites (119-116) overlooking the lake in Canvasback Cove. Across the same loop wooded sites (136-141) offer a little more privacy with less of any kind of view. Those are my favorite sites to camp with little kids because they are close to the "stocked" kids fishing pond which makes them feel so happy to easily catch a little fish. They become fishermen/ladies for life. They are not near the bathhouse though which is just a quick walk or drive.

In the off season, Canvasback Cove is not usually closed like the other side of the campground. Without little kids in the colder months, I still camp at those sites. One year I made the mistake of camping at 117 in December. I have no problem winter camping, but that time of year the winds blow over the semi-frozen lake making it about 20 degrees colder.

During the summer the campground is often packed. I hear some sites are better than others and of course you never know how rowdy people can get.

Still the fishing is awesome and you can bring your own boat or rent one, so on the water it's pretty tranquil if you love to fish.

Great value Chicago suburb campsite

I've camped here four different occasions this 2020 covid-19 year. The staff are super nice and the campground has great social distancing rules in place for the check-in shack and bathrooms. It is a super clean campground with multiple hosts and forest preserve staff. There are a large number of RV pads overlooking the prairie and a few along a grove of trees. I was lucky once to see the equestrian area full of campers with their horses. There are 9 walk-in tent sites about 10-20 yards from parking (the two at the end p7 and p9 are connected for groups that know each other). There are multiple ada sites and two "walk-in/ie roll-in" site in the tent-only area. It's a good mix of young people, retired people, and families. I've seen weekends with mainly RVs and one weekend with a quarter of the drive-in sites being tents. The most shaded sites are p1,3,5,7 and 9. Many of the sites in the middle are wide open with little shade but nice summer breezes. Prices are a great deal if you live in Kane county but still worth the trip if you live in another county. Firewood is $7 for about .75 cu ft (what you can fit in a milk crate.) There are a few trails and I've seen lots of butterflies, gold finches, hawks, deer, flocks of giant sandhill cranes, rabbits, ground squirrels, and of course actual squirrels. Lots of people (including me) bring their leashed dogs. The other campers have been polite and friendly. I wish there was more distance between sites in the water/electrical loops for more privacy, but I'd go every weekend if I lived in Kane county because it would be worth the resident price even tho there are so many RVs. Because there is electrical it is a peaceful campground with no generator noise.

Frequent Flyer

A true diamond in the rough! Many woody primitive sites that are spread out well. Bathrooms have always worked. No showers near primitive sites that I’ve seen. The campground includes many year round residents and it boasts a beautiful fox river shoreline (opportunity to float around grounds and repeat), fishing holes, golfing area, camp store, and acres upon acres to traverse. There are long forgotten mountain biking trails that can still be used. The owner and residents are laid back and they usually host events (non Covid days). Events like EDM festivals, militia re-enactments, jello wrestling, vendor fairs, and more. I have been here 10 times and it always gives back what you put in. It is not shiny and fancy, it is simply camping in a very secluded and secure private area. It allows for you to let loose which is why it is so great.

Year 2021 Flag