The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Long Branch , GEORGIA

Most Recent Long Branch Camping Reviews
Very peaceful ranch.

Marcie is the owner of this rescue ranch. She’s just starting out having RV’s come in (we were her 4th). There’s power and water hookups, but no dumping stations yet. She runs a quaint rescue ranch for various animals. At the time we were there (8/14/20) she had 21 horses, a Bantam rooster, two pot bellied pigs (one that looks pregnant), a pregnant goat, a bull and a dairy cow (also pregnant ) and three dogs; one if which was an adorable Great Pyrenees puppy that she saved from deaths door). She also offers guided trail rides in the adjacent state park (we only spent the night, so we did not do that). You really can’t beat it fir $25.00 a night!Note: the road into her ranch is pretty rough and beat up, so use caution and go slowly. Make sure you bring plenty of carrots and apples for the animals! Feeding them was a big highlight of our stay!

Fun Campground for a short stay

Campsites– some spots are spacious like the pull thru but it appears everyone shares one electrical box with a neighbor. Pull thru sites are nice packed gravel/clay and a lot of the back in sites are grassy. There are longer stays available here and some of the sites have that “little too comfortable” look. There is a military base in town, so I am sure this used by military and government workers at times. You will have to call and make your reservation. From past experiences- it is good to double check your reservation or have them email you/mail you your confirmation- check to make sure the site you are assigned has the hook up you are paying for and if you have to share an electrical box you need to find out if there are two 50 amps or if one user gets a 30 amp and the other gets a 50AMP.

There are a couple of cabins and there is also a tent/group camping area too.

Bathhouse- has a washers/ dryers in a screened in area. Bathroom facility is older but maintained. NOTE–> Only one Shower and one family shower

WIFI was only ok- we thought we would get better being so close to Albany. It was better with our boosters, and we used verizon jet packs with our sprint phones.

Activities- we always camp here when we participate in the annual Nut Roll biking event (30-100 mile options)

There is a small wild life park with animal exhibits(extra fee) , hiking trails, mountain biking trails, fantastic playground and water element for kids, BMX track, remote control car track, disc golf and kayaking/fishing just outside the park entrance. There is a more extensive review on our website about the activities.

So much potential...

A little background: I used to live five minutes from this park, and it used to be the first campground we visited every year to work out all the gear details. Back then (2012-2015), it was great! Absolutely beautiful, well maintained, gorgeous.

Now… the park itself is still great. Obviously it was hit by a hurricane, but the cleanup and improvements are coming along in those areas. They playground has always been amazing and they’ve added a Splash Pad right next to it. (We were in town to visit family so we didn’t get to enjoy those this time).

But y’all are here for a campground review, so here it is.

Registration. You cannot register online, you must do it on the phone or in person. All of the sites with full hook-ups are taken by long-term folks (probably staying there while their homes are being rebuilt from the tornadoes and hurricane?), so they are $20 a night for water/electric. When you register over the phone, you are charged an additional $15 fee. (When I checked in, they said I would receive a refund of that $15 as a check in the mail…?). When I called the day of check-in to get the gate code, they had no idea who I was and initially wanted me to pay for a site, again. After some shuffling they finally found my paperwork.

The tent-only side still looks fine. Plush grass, large spaced out sites.

However, the RV side looks a bit rough. The sites are no longer gravel, just dirt (or, this weekend, mud) and some grass. The sites aren’t maintained between campers (as I got a half burned log, empty pack of smokes, and paper plates in mine). I was actually placed on site 7, which on the campground map is NOT a “buddy” (shared) site, and told to just plug into the same pole as the guy on Actual Site 7. Thankfully he was 50A and I was 30A so it worked out. (Although oddly enough, several full sites remained empty the whole time I was there). It rained most of the weekend, and everything was covered in wet dirt chunks when I left.

The bath house… could use a little love and a fresh coat of paint. If you can avoid the side bathrooms (maybe handicapped? The ones with just a toilet and shower), then do so. Aside from teeming with flying wildlife (which, it’s South Georgia, you have to kind of expect that), it could have used a good cleaning. The regular restrooms were passable (better than some gas stations but not as clean as state/national park I usually visit).

I understand that the area was impacted by a hurricane last year… but a little bit of cleanliness and care goes a long way.

Nice family park

We went camping at Chehaw Park July 13th – 15th of 2018. All the sites were grassy and pretty much level with picnic tables, really tall pine trees, 20/30/50 amp service, water and some with sewer. The Park as a whole is very nice, asphalt roads and parking lots, except for campground it has dirt/gravel roads, dirt bike track, R/C track, small water park and pavilions Call to reserve a site and make sure you get the gate code.

This is a good place to take the family.

Really nice. Zoo in park with a train. Running, biking trails. Fishing and

Not much to do in town but this is a great park. Very nice at Christmas.

Fun day with the kids

We havent camped here yet but the zoo and playground make for a full day with the kiddos