the dyrt
Bakerfield (historical), GEORGIA
Most Recent Bakerfield (historical) Camping Reviews
Gnats! And frogs

We stayed at the Americus KOA while completing our Canyon Challenge in Georgia. Right outside Americus, GA the campground sites are an extension of the Brickyard Plantation Golf Club and surrounded by the disc golf course.

This summer I had gotten a KOA membership to try it out. Of the KOA’s I stayed in this was by far one of the more spacious ones. I don’t know if it had any larger of an area but the openness of the golf course and surrounding area made it feel much bigger then the others ones I’ve visited. There were plenty of options to walk along the sides of the camping area and on the golf course. The dog park was a small area not really worth taking the dogs off their leads. But there were poo bags if you forgot yours;) Several water areas which I was leery of because of possible snakes. ( and yea I wondered about alligators, lol)

It was not lacking in wildlife! The cute tree frogs were everywhere. Bring your gnat repellent!!! They were horrible. Aside from the annoyance factor I guess it was better then mosquitoes. If you have a screen tent definitely pack it for this trip. In addition the coyotes came through the area , setting my dogs off at about 2 am the first night. There was “something” crying pitifully our second night there. I could not decide if it was a “cat” or possibly a baby raccoon, we did not go looking for it.

The nearby town had the street names of Lee, Jackson and Cotton to name a few and I didn’t really find anything exceptional to bring me back.

We placed our tent on the gravelled square at our site and hung the hammock. The showerhouse and laundry were within 25 feet of our site. The office was about 100 ft away and a community building with kitchen was about 25 ft from us. Very quiet area (aside from the wildlife) other campers mostly stayed inside their RVs.

Loved it

Very nice place to stay. Showers need a little updating. Has a nice pond with a fountain in the middle.

Local family fun

I have lived in and around Bibb County, Georgia most of my life and I have always enjoyed going to Tobesofkee Recreation Parks. There were four parks but one was shut down (Flintrock Park). I believe the park was built back in the 60’s. Early morning on Mother’s Day of 2008 a tornado came through leaving destruction to all three parks. The campground bathhouse’s saved around 50 people that were camping when the tornado came ripping through destroying campers, cars and trees. The county has rebuilt the three parks and each one offers a little something different. It’s pretty great place in my opinion.

Claystone Park: Lake Tobesofkee access, large beach, playground, water sports, boat ramps, fishing, disc golf, several small pavilions, one large enclosed pavilion, numerous picnic tables throughout the park and camping. The campground has 45 sites, some tents, back-ups and pull through. Not sure about tents sites but all camper sites have 20/30/50 amp service, water and poor cable service. There are a few sites with sewer. The campground does have a nice bathhouse with coin operated laundry.

Sandy Beach Park: Lake Tobesofkee access, large beach, water sports, fishing, several small pavilions, one large open pavilion, numerous picnic tables throughout the park and a water park.

Arrowhead Park: Lake Tobesofkee access, small beach, water sports, fishing, several small pavilions, one large open pavilion, numerous picnic tables throughout the park, mountain bike trail, playground, boat ramps and camping. The campground has 58 sites, some tents, back-ups and pull through. Not sure about tents sites but all camper sites have 20/30/50 amp service and water; no cable. There are a few sites with sewer. The campground does have two nice bathhouse with coin operated laundry.

Great campground to visit

Nice family park

We went camping at Chehaw Park July 13th – 15th of 2018. All the sites were grassy and pretty much level with picnic tables, really tall pine trees, 20/30/50 amp service, water and some with sewer. The Park as a hole is very nice, asphalt roads and parking lots, except for campground it has dirt/gravel roads, dirt bike track, R/C track, small water park and pavilions Call to reserve a site and make sure you get the gate code.

This is a good place to take the family.

Really nice. Zoo in park with a train. Running, biking trails. Fishing and

Not much to do in town but this is a great park. Very nice at Christmas.

Great Year Round

Allows Horses

Horse stalls and paddocks Available

Near the Perry Ga Fairgrounds

Right off I 75

Keep it moving

Georgia Veterans State Park sits next to Lake Blackshear and shares the lake front with a resort. There is a marina , condos and a golf course on resort side. On the Park side there is the much more desirable campground:)

There are plenty of options to choose from in the three camping “loops”. Some lakeside sites have direct access to the water and in camping area 1 you can get pretty close to the fishing pier. A lot of the sites are pull through , in area 3 all sites are pull through and several of the sites border one of the Nature trails. The primitive walk in tent sites are in area 3. There are two handicap accessible sites and two double sites for group camping(the other sites are close together so this just puts you on the same “pad”)There is shade but definitely more on some sites then others. Not a lot of privacy. It wasn’t real busy or noisy so the open layout wasn’t a major hang up for me. This is definitely more of a “organized”, well maintained, military feel campground. I didn’t get the State Park in the woods vibe at all :)

There are rental Cottages which overlook the water some with screen porches. There is a fishing pier behind Cottage one and two.

In addition there are boocoo recreation activities:

Disc golf (a little over grown)

Pioneer Group campsite

Aviation and Combat Arms equipment

A museum

Model airplane field

Outdoor exercise equipment along with an exercise trail

Nature trails

Archery range

Fishing piers

Large boat ramp

Small boat ramp

Excursion Train

A beach with facilities and shaded picnic area

We only took the time to camp and hike but you could easily spend some time here and do something different every day. I’m unfamiliar with the area and wildlife so I kept the boys on short leashes when we walked in the woods , especially near the water. The trails were nice, somewhat maintained and there was old signage plus benches. Not my favorite this trip but nice enough.

Im trying to be unbiased

KOA in Cordele, Ga is another example of what I don’t usually visit while going camping. I purchased a membership recently to give KOA a fair shake , they do sponsor a camp for kids and offer deals certain months , plus some people like their WiFi while camping AND as a child my family journeyed from Ohio to California one summer in the 70’s and KOA was the thing back then ( no WIFi of course;) but plenty of swimming pools, putt putt golf and evening entertainment.

That being said…..every KOA I’ve visited so far is an “island”, not connected to any outside recreational areas , it may be different in other areas. In Cordele, you had the campground and that was it. You have to drive somewhere else if you wanted to hike, kayak, mountain bike, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, this is my preference in camping, my sister in law loves KOA’s, so it all goes back to what you want.

The facilities were mostly well maintained but the grass was a little high in the tent area, may have just been in between maintenance. There was a small, fenced dog area and poo bags provided throughout the campground in yellow mail boxes. This was a long skinny campground with the pool located in front of the office , the dump station to the right of the road in and the shower facility behind the office. There was also a kitchen with an outside grill available.

We got in after dark and the after hours sign in and site assignment was a little confusing or I was just tired. When I followed the map I had a difficult time following the overgrown road to the tent site and was the only one there. Not a lot of light and not very good boundary markings to my site but no worries I was alone and could have parked longways had I wanted to. It was quiet and we slept well enough. There was electric, a fire ring and picnic table at each site plus plenty of sand, gnats (bring your bug stuff) and grass.

Once again, this all goes back to preference, it is a nice enough KOA but same as the other one I would not want to visit when it’s full, it would be crowded with little privacy.

right on the water beautiful

located on boy scout slough really nice facility

Camping

Very clean and well maintained park. Bring or rent a kayak for water fun. Has natural spring called Blue Spring to explore both the land is private. Eat at the Grill or local restaurants the cove. Sheila

Fun day with the kids

We havent camped here yet but the zoo and playground make for a full day with the kiddos

Georgia Veterans State Park, Cordell GA

Great park for family fun. It offers a lake for boating & swimming, a beach for lounging, hiking, golf and Sam's Shortline Railroad tour. There are also restaurants/ bar & grill which during the summer offer concerts. They offer rv sites & pioneer type camping.

Good morning

A pleasant clean camp. Definitely will return when in the area. Friendly staff and knowledge about the area.

Oh the Heat

I rent a little cabin and it was really nice. I usually camp with tents but with the Georgia heat and all the bugs I wasnt going to deal with it this time. I would recommend the same. The cost is fair and they are clean.

Family Friendly

went here for a nice little day trip and a picnic, it was such a great place to let the tots run around and frolic, there weren't many other groups there at the time, so it seemed very private. such a great place to take the family, we will definitely be back!

Enjoy the summer

Great place to go for swimming, fishing, camping, or hiking!