Yurts
About Skidaway Island State Park

As part of Georgia’s Intracoastal Waterway, Skidaway Island State Park is nearly 600 acres of maritime forest, tidal creeks, and salt marshes nestled between the Skidaway River and the housing developments of The Landing. The park’s main draw is its lush coastal woods of live oaks, red cedars, and pines dripping with Spanish moss, which, in turn, is home for a variety of wildlife, including deer, raccoons and a variety of shorebirds. Many of the park’s flora and fauna can be seen on a network of 6 miles of walking trails and boardwalks. Some trails are ADA accessible, and some are also open to cyclists. For your best chance at spying a resident alligator, go for a stroll on the 2-mile Big Ferry Trail.

Visitors to Skidaway Island State Park, just a 10-mile drive southeast of Savannah, have access to nearly 90 tent and RV campsites, in addition to 3 camper cabins and 3 group campsites. All sites offer electrical hookups, and some are ADA accessible. Campground amenities include restrooms with showers, bike rentals, picnic areas, two playgrounds, laundry facilities, and an interpretive center. There is also an amphitheater that hosts seasonal interpretive programs. A hiking trail from the campground leads to an observation tower that overlooks the Skidaway Narrows, where you can scan for egrets and osprey. If you’re lucky, you might spot dolphins swimming up the waterway. Campsite rates range from $40–$49/night; cabins range from $42–$140/night.

Price
$40.00 - $49.00
Hike In
Skidaway Island State Park is located in Georgia
26 Reviews of Skidaway Island State Park
Wonderful, private, quiet park and friendly rangers

Pros: this is one of the best campgrounds I've ever visited, and one of the quietest. The sites are decently sized and most have good privacy because of plants left up in between sites. The facilities in this park are also the cleanest and most modern I've ever encountered in a campground, and the hot showers were free!! In addition, the rangers were very friendly and one of them even biked to my site to check on how I liked it (because I was a last minute walk-in). This park also has several trails throughout, and the ones I hiked were absolutely gorgeous, the sandpiper trail in particular.

Cons: the sites have cement picnic tables which are very rough. That's all I could think of, this place was great!

I would definitely stay here again given the chance!

Perfect for Savannah visit

Spent 3 nights at Skidaway Island SP in July. Beautiful, shaded campground with lots to do. Convenient to historic Savannah, Wormslow plantation and Fort Pulaski. Nice hiking trails

mellow camping among the mossy trees and palmettos

Love this spot! The campsites have ample space to spread out a bit and still not bug the neighbors. The vegetation is typical of the region, pretty unique if you're not from here- lush palmettos, and large oak trees draped with Spanish Moss which somehow adds to the laid back tone of the place. Beautiful trails if you're keen for a mellow hike (no elevation to be gained/lost in these parts). The deer aren't shy about cruising through camp. If you're tent camping definitely aim for a site far from RVs to cut down on generator noise/exhaust. Savannah and Tybee are within easy reach (~20 mins) if you want to mix things up. In my experience, things tend to stay a little warmer out here compared to inland during the winter- one trip it was in the 30s in Atlanta but in the 50s on Skidaway.

Sublime

My favorite campground…nestled in a maritime forest, the live oaks and Spanish moss, drip and dance around you, lending an air of romance and other- worldly feel.

Skidaway is on an island off Savannah Georgia, accessible over a causeway, that allows a view of the beautiful marsh and river topography. When in the campground, you feel miles away from downtown Savannah, and yet in 15 minutes you have access to the beautiful, and colorful city filled with great food, history, art and music.

This campground is well organized and the staff are proficient at their job.

There is shopping near and wonderful seafood restaurants within a short drive.

The coast of Georgia is a must to explore by boat. Wild islands and beautiful rivers abound.

This campground is close to Savannah so we went to the park to camp

We went to Skidaway Island State Park Departure very is very clean restrooms are clean it’s close to Savannah so we want to explore Savannah the weekend we were there what a way to save money the park rates are so much cheaper than hotel rates Plus I had cable TV also at the park

This is one of my favorites!

This is one of my favorite campgrounds. I have stayed here on multiple occasions. Friendly staff, secluded sites, lots of trees, hiking and biking, close to Savanah. Bathrooms are clean and convenient. Campground is clean. I don’t know how many times I’ve stayed here, but I will stay here every time I’m in the area.

Beautiful shade

Shaded by old moss dripping live oaks, lots of birds, walking paths and a small museum. This park is clean and well maintained with large campsites and lots of privacy. Close to downtown Savannah, yet so wooded you would never know. Also not far from Tybee Island and the Fort Pulaski National Monument.

There are cabins available, as well as primitive tent sites. RV sites are mostly pull through with water, electric and some sewer. The RV dump is clean and also well maintained. There is recycling, that always warms my heart and is hard to find when traveling! The wash rooms and toilets are clean. The are coin operated washers and dryers.

One of the best!

This has to be one of the best campgrounds we’ve ever stayed at. Almost all the sites are on very large sites with privacy. The facilities were in great condition. I know a lot of people say Disney’s Fort Wilderness is one of the best in the Southeast, but this campground is easily at the same level as Fort Wilderness. If you are looking for a great campground without the “jam as many people as possible” business model, we’d highly recommend this campground.

Relaxing Oasis

We had no problems getting in and the trails/sites are large and clean. Deer and other wildlife are seen every day.