About Shady Grove

County
Shady Grove is located in Georgia
5 Reviews of Shady Grove
Great Campground

Very nice wooded campground on Lake Lanier, very spacious sites, many on the lake. Water and electric with a dump station. Dump station very easy to get into. Nice playground for the kids, Over the air TV worked great. Only reason for the 4 stars is our site was not level, took some work to level our rig. Also our site needed a little TLC. I did notice them updating sites. Defiantly worth a stay

Great park. Several water sites

Camped at Shady Grove many times. Large clean sites with power and water. No sewer but the park does have a dump station. Many water sites.

Camping on Lake Lanier? Yes, please!

Shady Grove is a wonderful gem of a campground. It is owned and run by Forsyth County and is beautifully maintained. Living in the North Atlanta area, this became on of our easy, go-to camp sites. Over the past couple of years, the county has been upgrading the sites and they have done a wonderful job. There is no comparison between Shady Grove and the Corps of Engineers camp grounds on Lanier. Shady Grove wins every time!

There is a nice playground that is walking distance from our favorite camp sites that the kids really love.

There is a strict no alcohol policy in the campground and it is made very clear by signage in the park.

Bring the tent, leave the beer

This place is nice and beautiful place, there was little to no trash floating around the sites, and it was obvious that the rangers took pride in this camp site. When I met the ranger, I soon realized that he may have been taking his job too seriously… I felt like I was at a high school party that just got busted by the cops. The ranger was telling us full grown adults that we had to throw away all of our alcohol. He demanded that we empty our wine bottle and growlers, I dont understand why we had to waste all of that money spent on alcohol, when we could have simply put it away, and drank it on a later date after we had checked out from the camp site. I honestly felt like I was a teenager again, and this cocky ranger was a wanna be cop or something. I understand some places you are not allowed to drink, and I respect that, however, I respect it by putting the corks back into my bottles, not by pouring them out onto the grass. If they asked me to pack up my booze, I might have come back to camp another time. however the way that we were treated, I will not be back. I can find a place with just as nice of a view, with less inconsiderate rangers.

Shady Grove Campground on Lake Lanier

We met some friends here in the late afternoon Sunday of July 4th weekend. They already had a site (#51) which was nice with a beautiful view over the lake. The site had a nice big area with fire pit, picnic table, grill and room for a big tent. It also had a paved area down below where you can set up chairs with a great view of the water. The bath house was just a walk away. It did not have a great beach area, you have to climb or jump down the embankment but it is doable, just be mindful of young ones and pets. There is a main beach area in the campgrounds down the street but we wanted privacy for our group. The water is rocky so be careful. Once in the water we had a blast, great view of the islands in the water, boaters and jet skiers going by and nobody else on our beach. The bathrooms and showers were not great but there if you need them. They definitely don't want alcohol in the park. My friends said someone came by and told them to make sure they don't have alcohol earlier that day but I never saw one park ranger the whole time we were there. The other sites were kind of close but we got lucky and they all left earlier in the day. The sunrise was beautiful over the lake, we got to see some fireworks over across the lake at lanier world.