Yurts
Hike In
Cloudland Canyon State Park - West Rim Loop Trail is located in Georgia
7 Reviews of Cloudland Canyon State Park - West Rim Loop Trail
Great hiking views!

The West Rim offered a few pull through sites with electric and water hookup as well as back in sites. We were able to walk right into the trails from the campground during the day and enjoy the lightning bug show in the evening!

Beautiful Place

Cloudland never disappoints, always spectacular veiws, great hiking and nice sites. The disc golf is top notch! I aced number 2 ;)

Incredible stay!

Just w shirt weekend trip with some friends and we thought we'd do something different so we rented the yurts. It was amazing!

Lots of Clouds this time

Ranger Review: Nature’s Coffee Kettle at Cloudland Canyon West Rim Campground.

Campground Review: If you like scenery Cloudland Canyon State Park should be added to your list of must hikes. I found an info card at the Visitors Center for the “Canyon Climbers Club” and it was a no brainer that I would go for it. 4 Georgia Parks, 4 hikes with awesome scenery , 4924 steps, all in approximately 3 miles-ish, and a T-shirt when your done ;) Cloudland Canyon was the first.

After picking our tent site ( there are no reserve ahead sites, only reserve ahead choice. Once you check in you go pick a site. So no telling where you may end up only that you will have a site for the night. Good and bad.) which took some perusing for good trees (Tentsile configuration) I set up. I then hooked up the dogs and walked to the convenient in campground trailhead to the West Rim Trail. A right at the T and a through at the Y at which point we began our decent. This is a workout for sure wear your good shoes, A LOT of metal grate steps to get down to the falls! We went right at the next intersection and continued down to Hemlock Falls. A very picturesque and cool area. A lot of scrambling over rocks and high water debris, a lot of picture taking opportunities.

After huffing and puffing ( carrying two dogs that did not like the metal grating;) my way back up to the campground and supper. There are both fire rings and grills at each site plus electric and water hook up. Several of the sites have “patios” with gravel on hard packed dirt , NOT conducive for stakes! I noticed several sites had areas off to the side were people had set up tents near the fire rings. We were near the showerhouse which is newer, two showers , two sinks, three stalls, doors propped open, bugs flying about. There are laundry facilities in the same building. The camp hosts have wood for sale and I saw quite a bit of them throughout the visit. The campground was about 1/3 rd full so pretty quiet and good privacy. Phone signal one bar, no WiFi.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I have the opportunity to review outdoor products while camping. Nature’s Kettle Coffee (and Hot Chocolate) https://www.naturescoffeekettle.com/is a welcome addition to my camping pantry. I miss my morning coffee while out dispersed camping and sometimes don’t take the time to pack everything needed to make coffee at a campground. Nature’s Kettle Coffee has taken a lot of pre-planning/packing out of the equation by putting almost everything you need in one foldable pouch with pouring handle and sealed “spout”. Three steps, tear open pouch and pour in boiling water, let steep and re-pour same water for stronger coffee if wanted , enjoy. The pouches are reusable too with coffee filter refills available on the site. Which almost negates one of my con’s of the extra “material” filling up landfills. The only other con I had was pouring the hot liquid into the “floppy” pouch. Be VERY careful at this step, it got a little dicey and I pulled out my silicon oven mit to protect my fingers. Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the hot chocolate and Sumatra coffee. Can’t wait to try the other flavors of coffee and tea.

In the woods

No water close by (lake or river). Nice spots though. A long walk to the sites.

Wooded with nice trail access

The sites all have gravel pads that the tents must go on, fire pits with grills and also charcoal grills, picnic tables and lantern poles at all the sites. Showers and a laundry room. I’ve been twice, a few years apart, and both times the camp hosts have started cleaning and maintenance with gas fueled golf carts and leaf blowers very early in the morning so if you go to the woods to sleep in, you won’t. Also the camp store starts closing 15 mine before posted time and won’t sell you ice or wood so plan accordingly. The trails are just beautiful. The steps down to the waterfalls allow dogs but it’s 600 steps made of metal grate, in case you want to bring boots for them. It’s very beautiful here and I’d rate it higher if the staff and volunteers were less rude. That may not factor in to your camp, though, and it’s still worth seeing!

Nice view

Cloudland Canyon State Park was worth the drive! Below Chattanooga, Tn off of GA I59 at Trenton .

The drive through the Georgia countryside was enjoyable with some fun roads (if you like snaking roads) and excellent views.

The staff was super helpful and informative and the campground selection good (reserve ahead!) RV , Cabins, yurts, backcountry sites as well as walkin campsites. The RV sites are gravel with picnic table and fire ring; plenty big to spread out in . Clean, newer facilities and well maintained.

The walk in campsites are large, spaced well apart, with picnic table and fire ring . There are connector trails near all of the different areas which links pretty much everything within the park. So once you walk into your dwelling of choice you do not have to use your vehicle again to get to the many trails and activities

The trails are moderate to strenuous and take you to some pretty awesome sights. From overlooks, to waterfalls and Georgia foliage there is a lot to discover. 5 Points Recreation Area is nearby( also has a connector trail) and offers bike, horse and hiking trails) Bear Creak is a 7+ mile back country loop that is challenging.