Yurts
About Cloudland Canyon State Park

Resting on the western edge of northwest Georgia’s Lookout Mountain, Cloudland Canyon State Park is more than 3,000 acres—one of the state’s largest parks—of rugged geology, and offers visitors hiking, camping, rock climbing and more along the park’s most iconic feature: the deep gorge cut through the mountain (elevation varies from 800 to more than 1,800 feet!) by the Sitton Gulch Creek. Multiple waterfalls and cascades, including the uber-popular Hemlock Falls, can be found throughout the gorge, making this park feel like a hidden gem around Lookout Mountain.

Staring at the geographic anomaly isn’t the only thing to do at this park, however. Beyond the countless miles of hiking, biking and horse riding trails, geology fanatics can find rock climbing, rappelling and spelunking across the park—cave tours are even offered for beginning cave explorers at Sitton’s Cave.

The park holds a massive variety of camping options, including 72 spots suitable for both tent and RV campers, 30 walk-in sites, 13 dispersed sites, 16 cottages and 10 yurts, each in a different area of the park. With this many options, campers can find seclusion all around.

Hike In
Cloudland Canyon State Park is located in Georgia
51 Reviews of Cloudland Canyon State Park
Awesome !!

Love this campground. We stayed in the West Rim. Very spacious, wooded, private sites. Water and electric only. Nice dump station, over the air TV worked great. Nice waterfall hikes. Only reason it’s not a 5 Star is no sewer.

Nice and clean

Kinda far from the main area of the park. Basic sites. They are nice. Yurt spots available also

My favorite State park in Georgia!

This is my favorite! Gorgeous views all around! We have tent camped on site #33 and can't wait to go back!! West Rim campground is the best one, with plenty of space between large sites and most sites are shaded. If at all physically possible, hike to the waterfalls! Going down is fine but the coming back up is a challenge for this old girl from the flat lands of south Georgia, but so worth it! If you can only do one, I think Cherokee falls is the easiest and it's beautiful!

Breath taking. From the views to the hike back up! Lol

Cloudland is absolutely beautiful!! I used to come up to this area every summer growing up but never visited the park. I’m so glad my wife recommended we actually go to the park. I’ll be honest, the hike down to the falls wasn’t to bad. The hike back up was pretty difficult. Tons of stairs. But the trails down by the falls were nice and level and very scenic. When we went it was pretty dang cold but because we were down in the valley we didn’t get much wind.

I love that Cloudland is pet friendly as well. We can’t have a dog right now but we got to see many friendly pups on the trail. It’s also really nice that Cloudland has areas with vending machines because I always forget something. The hike in camp sights are nice. They have picnic tables, which is nice for us because we normally eat on the ground with the trails we do. Overall Cloudland was awesome and I will definitely be going back.

Waterfalls and hiking

Very clean with both day areas and multiple camping areas. Lots of rv sites and tent camping, along with walk in camp sites. Also have cabins and glamping!

Lots of trails, frezby golf and a fishing pond.

Great backcountry site

Enjoyed my first backcountry camping at this beautifully park! Great site and lots to do!

Backcountry #5

Our absolute favorite spot is #3 but we were very happy with #5! They went to an online specific reservation system now so no more guessing which spot you'll fight for. A long side trail off the main loop, you'll get some mountain views between the winter trees and climb up to what feels like the top of the mountain. Very private. There's a nice flat spot for the tent and plenty of running space for the pup to play fetch. The picnic table is right next to the fire pit which was nice and I was able to hang my hammock up on the other side! The only downside is your water source is down at the main loop so you'll want to get that on your way in or out.

There's a little trail that leads to the park border and private property I assume.

Best in the Fall

Cloudland Canyon SP in Georgia is on the top of Lookout Mountain. A small stream runs through the park, and has cut a deep gorge into the mountain. The view down the gorge is spectacular in fall. There are 2 campground loops, walk-in tent sites and a yurt village. The west loop is larger, mostly wooded, with level sites, with water and electric. The east loop sites are closer together, and not as private. The Waterfalls Trail is a steep climb, with stairs down to Cherokee Falls and Hemlock Falls. There is also a cave to explore with a guide.

Amazing Views

3 night stay on the west rim. Large, level sites with lots of shade and privacy. Staff was friendly and helpful. Bathhouse is smaller than other campgrounds we’ve been to, but clean and functional. Lots of hiking (we only covered about 9 miles over the weekend so there’s lots more for other trips). Really enjoyed this State Park and will definitely be back.

Great park

My best friend and I went camping here the first week of February last year. We missed the super bowl. It was so worth it. It was cold, but we were able to stay pretty warm with our big tent and electric heater. The hike to the falls is pretty, but there are a lot of stairs. Definitely worth the trek. The loop trail is also worth the walk. It’s not terribly strenuous, but it provides some great overlooks/views.