Smeltertown , COLORADO

Most Recent Smeltertown Camping Reviews
Limited winter access

I drove up this past weekend for some mid January winter camping and was not disappointed. The road appeared to be rarely traveled and it took some effort just to get my Tacoma to the start of the dispersed camping with no hopes of making it further down the road due to deep snow. Plenty of firewood and gorgeous views, will definitely be returning when it’s a little warmer out.

Great Road Trip Campsite

There are many beautiful campsites here. Tenting sites are separated from RV sites, which I appreciated. There are beautiful fire pits and standard picnic tables. Night temps were good for car camping in winter months. Hikes of any length can be started right from the campground or a short drive away. Maximum stay allowed is 72 hours.

Beautiful Place

I went here with my boyfriend and some family and it was so peaceful. All the trees on the campground make you feel like there really isn’t anyone else nearby. The best part is Twin Lake is only a short drive away. Great Lake for kite flying too!

Lots of options

There are extensive sites in the area for all sizes of rigs.  There is plenty of room and easy access for large rigs or tent camping.  FR 272 is the main road in but there are several spur roads, 273 and 274 that have plenty of options also.  One problem is that this area is well known and is becoming very popular.  On weekends, there may be more than 50 campers in the area.

Because of the overuse some sites are getting, the forest service is starting to fence some sites in so they don't grow in size.  The are working towards camping in designated sites only because so many campers are just trashing the area.

The hiking is good with several trailheads and easy access to the Colorado Trail.

Buena Vista

Lives up to the Beautiful View in the foot hills of Presidential Peaks. Tent camped in August and woke up one morning at 38 degrees. Very nice and clean.

Was good long ago

Lots of people and worse they all seem to be crapping everywhere. Toilet paper (used) litters the areas near the stream.

Lucky find!

On a roadtrip from Houston to Vegas.. my darling fiancée and I had planned on stopping in crested butte but couldn’t manage to make it there in time and we just so happened to find this campsite along the road we were traveling and good lord I’ve never been so happy with a campground!!!!! One of my favorite stays along this week long trip!

Only downside was that it was very close to the road but that’s not enough for me to take down a star! Easy self pay right up front, bathroom, nice trails, and the views here were unlike anything I’d seen off the side of any old road!

The pictures are amazing but they still do no justice!!

Campsite was clean, there was only 1 other camper, few was just $12(if I recall correctly) and honestly I would paid well over that amount for this spot!

Each campsite has a small trail behind it that leads to a river with a towering cliff on the other side. Yes… I went to all the campsites and went through all their little hidden trails to see which one had the prettiest sights and I tell you what.. they were all amazing! Especially this one that had rocks that you could walk on out over the water. It was a campers dream 😍

I would and have been suggesting this spot to anyone traveling through Gunnison, CO!!!

Unique and Amazing

First thing is first, this is a place where clothing is optional.

Valley View is a large swath of land with about 12 beautiful pools and about 20+ camping spots. You need to reserve well in advance as the demand is much higher than the capacity.

The camp spots themselves are not all that great, though perfectly suitable. Most are exposed (interesting choice of words considering the naturist aspect of the place) and about 1/3 have a great view of the expansive valley below (hence the name).

The gem here is the wonderful landscape and the soaking pools throughout. I can't speak highly enough about the pools, the overall vibe and the expansive views. But this place is not for everyone. You need to be able to chill and relax and be cool with nudity. If you meet that criteria, you just found your new favorite place.

Leave no trace.

A wonderful getaway

Beautiful, peaceful and most importantly a very clean campground for adventurers and families alike! My girlfriend and I loved our stay here!

Does the Trick

The first spots you'll find will be filled with massive RVs and big rigs and large groups looking for a party in the forest since it is so easy to get to. If you want to push on further, take the road to the left and keep going just past the Browns Creek Trailhead and over the creek. It gets quieter and prettier (and a little harder to get to). Great MTB rides near here and quick into Buena Vista and Salida.