Water Unknown
Contact
Prewitt Ridge Campground is located in California
5 Reviews of Prewitt Ridge Campground
Cloud heaven

Prewitt Ridge has some of the most fantastic views I have ever seen from any campsite. It’s quiet, peaceful, and I’d recommend to anyone who hasn’t been before.

The drive up is probably difficult for anyone in a sedan. While some of the road has been recently graded, there are some larger potholes that will cause your suspension to flex. If you’re in a suv, it’s pretty easy if you’re used to driving off road. There are some campsites on the drive up, but if you can make it to the top it’s definitely worth the drive.

We arrived at 7:30pm, and the sunset was incredible. If I could do it again I’d get there earlier to try to grab a spot near the ridge. Keep in mind that if you camp near the ridge, it’s not that private and you’ll get camped on top off pretty quickly. There are some choice spots towards the back of you want more privacy.

The only thing that really bothered us were the gnats. They were pretty vicious and I wouldn’t spend the entire day up there just to avoid those things. We had a thermacell backpacker mosquito repellent with us and luckily there wasn’t a lot of wind which kept the mosquitos away but obviously not the gnats. Come a couple hours before sunset and you should be gnat free.

Overall, if you haven’t been I’d suggest making the drive up. It’s beautiful and a chance to get away from the zoo that’s taking place on highway 1. Not sure I’d spend an entire day up here since there’s not much to do but definitely worth an overnight trip.

Beautiful wilderness

Excellent views of the coast. Difficult road out but worth it. 4x4, high clearance and or AWD recommended. These sites have nothing and there are no amenities close so be prepared and bring plenty of water and supplies. No fires 🔥 and good about of bugs so bring spray

Amazing views! Bugs!!!!

We went for one night and it was brutal. The bugs were horrible in the evening and the morning. We didnt even cook breakfast they were so bad. The drive up is a blast but youll want a vehicle with some clearance and there arent many sites to choose from. The views are amazing! So if you can hit it just right and dont get the bugs or the marine layer…amazing place.

Beautiful campground on a cliff

This campground is gorgeous! We didn't know what to expect but we definitely didn't think it'd be this pretty. We were trying to find some last minute dispersed camping and while this was crowded, it was perfect for what we needed. You definitely need 4WD to get there. We had AWD and didn't have any issues but there were some small sedans with 2WD and they couldn't get up the road. One car succeeded but had to try four times. There are flies at the campgrounds which is kind of a bummer but not too horrible.