South Taft, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent South Taft Camping Reviews
Nice hike and camp site

Very nice hike and camp site

Scenic and off the grid-ish

The drive in through BLM land is breath taking. 40 minutes of curves and turns and aw! I loved every minute. Then camped next to a creek that babbles and bounces through the campground. Is this a Laura ingles wilder book?! Tiny adorable bar and grill run by the locals, right at the foot of the camp makes for a not-so-off-the-grid trip if you choose to partake. Camp hosts - best I’ve ever encountered. I will 100% be back.

Perfect nature getaway from the city

If you are looking for gorgeous mountains, green trees, safe and comfortable camping, this place is for you. Perfect for friends, families, and dogs! It was quiet at night although our spot was right next to the road and we heard every loud car and truck drive by but that’s okay, the sound of the creek was just as loud! Very happy I chose this campground.

Nice and lonesome

Beautiful drive down grade valley to get to this awesome site. We were looking for a more remote place to camp and this site satisfied all our needs. We were the only ones there and the scenery was pleasing. There is access to some nice hiking trails of Los Padres National Forest. There was some water still available in the nearby creek.

Tons of fun, tons of bugs!

Our first time here and just like previous reviews state, there are alot of bugs and they want to kiss you. Of course fire, candles and bug spray help but because of the nice creek nearby its kind of unavoidable. With that said, the bugs go night night at dark and a big fire helps. Pretty quiet site, the creek is easily accessible and great for photos. The restroom situation wasn't the best, but was expected from previous reviews and the website stating no running water. We brought 5 gallons of water for dishes/hand washing and 5 gallons of water for drinking. The sites are a little on the small side, however we did book two sites next to each other for two families of four. I suggest you bring wood, it's a little expensive in the campground and in town.

Across the street from the campground theres a store that has trail maps, information and little dry goods and toiletry. They also sell really neat Crystal's, arrowheads and bumper stickers. About 4 or 5 miles up the road there's a nice 15-20 min hike to a nice waterfall.

I wouldn't mind coming back especially since I know what to prepare for next time and it's so close to Los Angeles.

Small tent site with a picnic table

It's a very nice small camp site

Great place for a quick get away

Clean site Areas are well spaced out First compound of campsites are the best end of the road are the trails to hike and only able to fit 3 trucks up there comfortably Bring your own toilet amenities and water

Quiet and relaxing

Really nice clean quiet and relaxing

Clean and Friendly

Clean, friendly, and easy full hookup…clean facilities Dog Park Swimming pool Wendy&Mario

Great Campground

A nice alternative to the higher campgrounds near Mt Pinos. Went on Labor Day weekend and surprisingly there were not that many other campers. Nice well separated sites with awesome views of lock wood valley and Frazier mountain. Area is a great for star gazing and ohv riding. Took a great scenic drive up to Frazier mountain lookout. Bathrooms and camp sites were clean. Great scenery all around and overall a beautiful campground.

Clean and quiet

Before you turn off for this camp, you are driving along this curvy road that is down in one of the most spectacular valleys I've ever driven through. The views are astonishing and made my 2 hour drive totally worth it. This little campsite is right off the road and not to far from a gas station, small store, and what appears to be a beautiful country club community in the middle of basically nowhere. Its is nice for if you forget something to not have to go far. The road down to the campsite itself looks daunting if you arent used to driving off road, but its short and not something that should caution you away from this campsite. In fact while I was there, a mini van made it all the way down the road, turned around, and drove right back up. As for the campsite itself, the spaces are very clean and each site has it's own picnic table and a fair amount of space. From what I could tell, they each had their own fire pit as well. There was not a lot of trash in the camp and it appeared to be taken care of often. It is a small camp though so if every spot has campers, it might get crowded. There is NO WATER at this camp that I ever found. I always pack lots of water just in case and if you stay here, you will need to bring some. All said and done, I will definitely be coming back here, its quiet and the view of the stars at night and the valley at sunset is breathtaking.

Summer Heat Getaway!

It’s a nice drive to get to the campground. Nice clean area with lots of space. Love it that’s it’s a Walk in campground so no cars or RVs. Lots of Hiking trails nearby. It’s a lot cooler up here so it’s a nice way to get away from the summer heat. Awesome area for stargazing. The bathrooms could use some cleaning but other than that it’s a beautiful area.

Great for Beginners

About a mile from the trail head the lost valley campground is a great spot for beginning backpackers to stay for a night or two. It’s right up against the creek and has two tables. Great tree placement for hammocks and space for tents.

Beautiful campground easy to get to from So. Cal.

Camped here August 16-18 2019. Arrived to 107 degrees but the ample trees and cool river made it enjoyable. We were there on a weekend and it was sold out. We stayed at sites 21&23, river front so that made it fantastic.

Other reviewers had warned of the bathrooms being awful and the camp host being mean. They were right about the bathrooms and so wrong about the host! He was super pleasant and friendly! The bathrooms are terrible though.

I would go back again but since I like to explore new campsites probably won’t.

USFS developed campground

Beautiful area. Spring and early summer water is in the 2 small lakes or hike to the Rose Valley Water falls. Hiking, biking or just hang out. Gateway to some beautiful hikes in the Los Padres National Forest. Plenty of trails to explore.

Remote, upgraded primitive campground. Great for a full moon hike. Views.

Seasonal spring for water (Bring a filter). Locals have upgraded by making benches out of downed trees. Great views and starry nights. A favorite.

Sequoia you will love it

We be there about 2 night it nice for camping there nice toilets but don’t go on weekends your will be can’t find camping sites it full very quick we was there walk in but they have free camping ground also

Pretty but disappointing

Thorn Meadows Campground is definitely a journey to get to. You have to have a 4WD or AWD and it has to have good clearance. I also recommend someone with experience driving on rough roads. Once you get to the camp, there is a fairly nice horse corral if you have horses. There is no water at the camp, it is currently all dry and the only water I encountered was a small stream on the road a ways before you get to camp. The creek bed that is there is pretty deep and you have to jump in and out of it to even get to camp. The campsite itself is nice, although the bathroom is pretty much destroyed. It has been shot up so much by past people. If you are looking to hike to thorn point, I'd say dont waste your time. About 3/4-1 mile, the trail just ends. If you are looking for secluded camping and beautiful views on the way in and where you're camping, thorn meadows is for you.

Great spot

Clean, quiet easy on and off HWY58. Sites are level the pool is clean, staff is awesome. Don't forget the oranges.

Off The Grid

I prefer primitive or dispersed camping because I usually like as much privacy as I can get when I'm camping, but with current fire restrictions I was limited to developed campsites if I wanted a campfire (and what's the point of camping without a campfire?). I was also planning the trip on short notice, so developed, reserveable campsites were in short supply. Then I found Reyes Creek.

The campground is very isolated. It's about a 40 minute drive from the nearest town (and therefore the nearest gas station or market - plan ahead). There is no power, or water. There's no cell service in the camp, but a 5 minute drive up the mountain there's a dirt lot they call the 'phone booth' that gets decent reception. The camp hosts were super friendly and helpful. There are 2 loops for campsites - the center of the main loop seemed pretty flat, but all the sites were visible to your neighbors. Sites on the outside of the main loop offered more privacy, but most appeared to not be very level, and not necessarily well laid out. I stayed in site 11 on the outside of the loop which was large and fairly quiet, but my 6 person tent just barely fit in between some trees which offered some shade and was only on a slight angle. The one downside was the bathrooms - vault toilets that varied in condition, but none that I used were particularly good. If bathroom condition is a major sticking point with you, you may want to look elsewhere.

As an added bonus, as isolated as the place is, right outside the entrance to the campground is a bar & grill called the Camp Scheideck Lodge. They have a full bar and great food (and the customer-only bathroom is a great step up from the campground). It just changed owners last month (second time in a couple years) and the new owner, Devin, is friendly and welcoming.

The temperature varies greatly from day to night (90's to 50's when I was there) and there are bugs a plenty, so bring repellant. Firewood is available at the camp, and ice is available at the lodge.

So if you want a little isolation with privacy, a campfire, and a friendly bar within walking distance, this place is for you. I'll definitely be coming back.

Words cant describe

Beautiful lakes and fishing was awesome. Will be back for sure.

Yearly camp

My family comes here every year. Staff around the area really friendly. The people that runs the desk they don’t seem so friendly but they try I guess. You will see them only one time on your stay so don’t let that big you. Awesome place to camp for sure.

If you can make it happen, do it!

This is such a unique experience! You have to set up a boat trip here and back so do your homework because it takes some coordinating. We picked site 1 unknowingly and it turned out to be the best! It was away from others and felt private with the most spectacular mountains to our back. VERY WINDY! The water tasted icky but after a 10 mile hike we didn't care. Take advantage and hike as far as you can- it's unreal! But bring a ton of water because you'll want it! The crows are unruly so watch your belongings, and the fox are cute but sneaky. Also, there was a dead seal over by the water which was sad, but as the rangers told us, that's nature.

I love this place

Creek is beautiful. Sites are nice especially 58,59. A lot of bugs but it’s expected. The staff are so nice especially the lady. She’s awesome. She takes very good care of the campground. The bathrooms are so so clean. They are cleaned daily. Beautiful place.

Beautiful campground

Camped out July 21 -22 2019 at Reyes creek campground. We got the last available spot as we showed up late that afternoon. Plenty of fish in the creek. Temp was well in the mid 90s … it was super hot. We still managed to do a small hike up the piedra Blanca trail to upper Reyes. Trail is brushy in some areas with some washouts in others. Some beautiful shaded areas where we took a few breaks to get away from the heat.

Great place for family BBQ and Camping

I love how this campground is secluded, there are about 7 campgrounds available, 2 restrooms and stalls for horses. You can go out for a hike with great scenic views. I would truly recommend.

Primitive typical National Forest campground

Few fire pits and tables a couple flat spots for camping, 30-45 minute drive from Santa Maria. Drive slow down the dirt road as to not upset the residents of Colson Canyon.

Not that great in July

In July so many mosquitoes and nats that 98% DEET barely slows them down. The restrooms have tons of flies.

Quiet in off season

Went In January on a weekend and drove up and had our pick of any site. It was all Shaded and quiet. Not many people around. Nice big sites under trees. Plus it’s only around a 10 minute drive to come springs tavern and several hikes. It is located right off the side of the road but it never got loud because the rode is so empty.

Just off the highway

It’s a pretty lame campground. The sites are close together and you can see and hear the freeway from the campground. The lake is also not within walking distance to the campground. It’s relatively close to LA but there are far better campgrounds within the same distance. However, if you are headed somewhere else and need a spot to stay for a night to break up the drive, you could do worse.