Whispering Pines , ARIZONA

Most Recent Whispering Pines Camping Reviews
Gorgeous Views!

Lots of camping sites through out. We camped 3 miles off road. Couldn't really hear the 89A, quiet and clean. Camp sites are marked and designated. Great for big rigs and trailers. We were tenting but enjoyed neighbors with trailers and still had LOTS of space. Not many big trees, enjoyed an Juniper that was big enough for a couple camp chairs. Road was a bit rough in places but for most part our Dodge Van had no problems. Closer too the historical sites the road gets really rough and sandy.

Crowded !

Sure theirs some nice views, but you have to take turns viewing them. I’ve never seen so many rv’s in one area in the last 3 years of boondocking. If that’s not enough, the atv’s are stirring up a lot of dust. It’s like a little city out in the middle of no where without any amenities. Then again if you don’t mind squeezed in like a sardine, it is free.

Cozy spot in the woods

Heavily wooded area with tons of space for dispersed sites. Road is in great shape and easy for our travel trailer to make it in. Camping spots are towards the beginning of the road you turn off of, so don’t drive all the way down to the water like we did lol

Great Dispersed Camping

Stayed here last night for just the night, decent amount of bigger RV’s when you first pull down the road but if you keep going up the dirt road you can find a great secluded spot to set up camp. I went about 3-4 miles down the road and found a great spot on top of a ridge to have a fire and set up our tent. Beautiful view in the morning, and everyone seemed friendly. Good spot.

Great place!

Great place! Hosts were friendly and very helpful!

Heavily trafficked

We stayed here for a night over the holiday weekend. We were able to find a spot but were within a close distance to other campers. The road had traffic all through the night and during the day there was a lot of atvs and side by sides. Great for dispersed camping if you don’t mind traffic and dust.

Nice campground but different than what I pictured

It was a little off-putting how I called (you have to call, they don't have online reservations) MONTHS ahead of time and was told that I could request a waterfront site but there was no guarantee… odd that they couldn't assign me a site then or that I wasn't allowed to choose.

They called the day before and asked that I give them an arrival time before 5pm (that's when they close) and this added a bunch of stress because we were coming from a ways away and weren't used to how slow-going RV driving was. We felt like we couldn't have a relaxing drive across AZ because we needed to get there by 5 and cut it close.

They gave a "waterfront" site (the place was super empty) but that's a stretch to say because you couldn't see the water at all - it was a short walk through trees/rocks. But once you got there the river was beautiful and peaceful. There were definitely other (empty) sites that had somewhat of a view of the river, so I'm not sure what the deal was with that - I felt like we were at the mercy of the owner's whim.

We walked around and they have a little spring/pond and had I known I would have rather gotten one of the few sites right on that. oh well.

The second night they parked someone in the spot right next to us - so odd since the whole row was empty! Don't expect privacy in between the sites - at least not the ones along the water.

I walked down to where the primitive tent sites on the water are located and they are pretty cool - right on the edge of the water. They're squished together though and you would need to carry everything a bit because they aren't drive up sites, but unique if you had a group and could take a few close sites together.

The bathrooms were clean and the showers are hot - always a bonus!

A couple alpaca greet you as you come in and that's always fun.

We used it more of a home-base for a day trip to Sedona that isn't too far away. Funny though that the best surprise was the little winery nearby - Oak Creek Vineyards.

Large Sites - Really Dusty

I camped here with my two dogs at the end September. I wanted to get a spot on the rim but it was full. Actually everything was really full. I'm glad I came up on a Friday afternoon otherwise I'm not sure where I wouldn't have gotten a site. The sites are large and fairly wooded. But super dusty. I planned on staying 3 nights but on Sunday afternoon almost everyone was gone. I couldn't see another camper from my site. Then a bit before dusk some guy stopped by to ask me for an air pump. Being a single woman (but with two dogs) it made me uncomfortable. Better safe than sorry. Packed it up and went home to take a much needed shower. It's a great location for visit the local lakes. I went to both Bear and Knoll lake in my Prius. (-:

Convenient to MTB trails. Crowded.

Forest Service land allowing dispersed camping…however it is getting overwhelmed by big RVs with generators and other people leaving their trash, feces behind. Pack it in. Pack it out people before we lose this convenient spot!! Have stayed here a few times. Amazing views and 8 miles to Sedona. 3 mile ride/hike to trailheads. Loads of hiking, biking and lots of OHV traffic. If you stay here please respect the land and other campers.

Great place! Fun for kids!

Our kids loved this place. They have RV sites that can accommodate big rigs with full hookups and also a tent camping area. We stayed in the full hookups up area and we had a lot of space between our RV and the one the next to us. We didn’t feel crammed at all. There are lots of trees for shade and very spacious to hang out. Kids rode bikes all over. There’s a store that seeks a bunch of stuff. We were there in June.