The best DRIVE IN camping near
Washington Park , ARIZONA

Most Recent Washington Park Camping Reviews
Crowded !

Sure theirs some nice views, but you have to take turns viewing them. I’ve never seen so many rv’s in one area in the last 3 years of boondocking. If that’s not enough, the atv’s are stirring up a lot of dust. It’s like a little city out in the middle of no where without any amenities. Then again if you don’t mind squeezed in like a sardine, it is free.

Free BLM land

There are multiple spots to choose from along this dirt road (Bloody Basin Rd) to pull off and camp. The road is nicely graded and fairly smooth with a few sections of washboard and rocky spots. We did fine in our 26 ft class C but drive with caution as some of the pull outs do not have turn around areas and there are deep ruts and washouts to navigate around.

There is no water, garbage or any other amenities so pack in and out whatever you bring, and pack out some more if you’re so inclined. Lots of debris left behind by shooters.

Nice area with trails to hike or bike around. There are quite a lot of ATVs but they were not as bothersome as some of the areas we’ve camped in. You can hear the highway noise and see light pollution from Phoenix but it was not horrible. We did see some shooting garbage, targets and shells laying around but did not hear any shooting when we were there. My dog did get sprayed by a skunk during the daylight about 10 yards from our spot so be aware of wildlife!

We did see a park ranger while we are there which is always nice.

Weak but usable Verizon and AT&T coverage but not enough to stream anything.

Beautiful and Secluded

Absolutely loves every minute of this camping spot. Took my 4x4 about an hour of dirt roads to get from the 17 to the camp spot, but was not difficult to drive!

Great Dispersed Camping

Stayed here last night for just the night, decent amount of bigger RV’s when you first pull down the road but if you keep going up the dirt road you can find a great secluded spot to set up camp. I went about 3-4 miles down the road and found a great spot on top of a ridge to have a fire and set up our tent. Beautiful view in the morning, and everyone seemed friendly. Good spot.

Great place!

Great place! Hosts were friendly and very helpful!

Family favorite

We are always pleased with our stay here. The park has so many different activities from hiking, horse trail, lakes and access to the verde river. We stayed in spot 97 this time and had some privacy with the bushes and trees from our neighbors. The bathrooms were clean and well maintained. There is a fun bike track for the kids or even adults up by the tent loop. Cottonwood is just a few miles and lots to do in town.

Heavily trafficked

We stayed here for a night over the holiday weekend. We were able to find a spot but were within a close distance to other campers. The road had traffic all through the night and during the day there was a lot of atvs and side by sides. Great for dispersed camping if you don’t mind traffic and dust.

This campground thinks very highly of itself

It was a little off-putting how I called (you have to call, they don't have online reservations) MONTHS ahead of time and was told that I could request a waterfront site but there was no guarantee… odd that they couldn't assign me a site then or that I wasn't allowed to choose. They called the day before and asked that I give them an arrival time before 5pm(that's when they close) and this added a bunch of stress because we were coming from a ways away and weren't used to how slow-going RV driving was. We felt like we couldn't have a relaxing drive across AZ because we needed to get there by 5 and cut it close. They gave a"waterfront" site(the place was super empty) but that's a stretch to say because you couldn't see the water at all- it was a short walk through trees/rocks. But once you got there the river was beautiful and peaceful. There were definitely other(empty) sites that had somewhat of a view of the river, so I'm not sure what the deal was with that- I felt like we were at the mercy of the owner's whim. We walked around and they have a little spring/pond and had I known I would have rather gotten one of the few sites right on that. oh well. The second night they parked someone in the spot right next to us- so odd since the whole row was empty! Don't expect privacy in between the sites- at least not the ones along the water. I walked down to where the primitive tent sites on the water are located and they are pretty cool- right on the edge of the water. They're squished together though and you would need to carry everything a bit because they aren't drive up sites, but unique if you had a group and could take a few close sites together. The bathrooms were clean and the showers are hot- always a bonus! A couple alpaca greet you as you come in and that's always fun. We used it more of a home-base for a day trip to Sedona that isn't too far away. Funny though that the best surprise was the little winery nearby- Oak Creek Vineyards.

Nice campground but different than what I pictured

They called the day before and asked that I give them an arrival time before 5pm (that's when they close) and this added a bunch of stress because we were coming from a ways away and weren't used to how slow-going RV driving was. We felt like we couldn't have a relaxing drive across AZ because we needed to get there by 5 and cut it close.

They gave a "waterfront" site (the place was super empty) but that's a stretch to say because you couldn't see the water at all - it was a short walk through trees/rocks. But once you got there the river was beautiful and peaceful. There were definitely other (empty) sites that had somewhat of a view of the river, so I'm not sure what the deal was with that - I felt like we were at the mercy of the owner's whim.

The second night they parked someone in the spot right next to us - so odd since the whole row was empty! Don't expect privacy in between the sites - at least not the ones along the water.

I walked down to where the primitive tent sites on the water are located and they are pretty cool - right on the edge of the water. They're squished together though and you would need to carry everything a bit because they aren't drive up sites, but unique if you had a group and could take a few close sites together.

The bathrooms were clean and the showers are hot - always a bonus!

A couple alpaca greet you as you come in and that's always fun.

We used it more of a home-base for a day trip to Sedona that isn't too far away. Funny though that the best surprise was the little winery nearby - Oak Creek Vineyards.

Large Sites - Really Dusty

I camped here with my two dogs at the end September. I wanted to get a spot on the rim but it was full. Actually everything was really full. I'm glad I came up on a Friday afternoon otherwise I'm not sure where I wouldn't have gotten a site. The sites are large and fairly wooded. But super dusty. I planned on staying 3 nights but on Sunday afternoon almost everyone was gone. I couldn't see another camper from my site. Then a bit before dusk some guy stopped by to ask me for an air pump. Being a single woman (but with two dogs) it made me uncomfortable. Better safe than sorry. Packed it up and went home to take a much needed shower. It's a great location for visit the local lakes. I went to both Bear and Knoll lake in my Prius. (-: