The best DRIVE IN camping near
Tat Momoli , ARIZONA

Most Recent Tat Momoli Camping Reviews
Secluded BLM Camping

We stayed here in January 2021 during our visit to Saguaro National Park due to previous good reviews. Classic BLM-style camping, meaning no amenities, dispersed, and pack out all waste.

This campground’s name is quite apt; it is indeed a cactus forest, and a beautiful one at that. However, watch where you step AND where you drive!!!! Some places are hairier than others, but we were very careful for our own safety and for the livelihood of the Saguaros, as young ones are quite tiny and need to be protected. We were traveling with our cat, and we usually let him walk around campsites with us, but decided it was not worth the risk at this campground. I would avise against dogs roaming here as well.

This is a great campground if you are just looking to get away for the weekend or want a quaint, quiet campground amongst incredible Saguaros. However, I personally prefer the BLM Pipeline campground to this one, as it’s more spread out, has less opportunity for cactus stepping, and has a much better proximity to Saguaro NP (especially the East park/Tucson Mountain Park).

The Quintessential BLM Campground

Date of Stay: 1/20/21 Vehicle: Subaru Crosstrek w/ tow-behind popup

I was a bit wary of this campground due to lack of reviews, but after an unsuccessful attempt to camp at another campground close to Saguaro NP East, we decided to give this site a go - and I’m SO glad we did. This is the perfect BLM campground - very dispersed, quiet, and FREE!

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon with only about two other groups there. Directions from the Dyrt are perfectly accurate, but the turn is a bit tricky to see, as it is a narrow dirt road surrounded by brush. You can actually turn left or right when prompted by directions, but we went right and drove about ¾ of a mile down (you’ll see a sign addressed to campers so you’ll know you’re in the right place). Road is mostly very flat but does have the occasional bump/washout, and there is no shortage of rocks. Had no problem in my vehicle w/ trailer.

I honestly don’t know how many “campsites” are here, as they seem to be scattered pretty randomly around. There are little side roads that branch off the main road as well, we went down one of those and found a quaint little spot with camper-made fire pit that isn’t visible to the main road. Because of this, I would highly recommend arriving to this spot during the day, as we would have never found our great spot had it been dark.

As for the spot itself, it isn’t the prettiest because it’s mostly desert brush and dirt, but the Saguaros most definitely make up for it. Our specific campsite is marked by a towering, twenty-foot high Saguaro that I love waking up to every morning. There is little to no shade, but during the winter, the sun is very welcome. As for wildlife, we’ve seen several coyotes and roadrunners but not much else, at least during the day.

Location of this site is optimal - about five minutes from a local mart with all essentials, and ten from a Speedway and Dollar General. About 35 minutes from Saguaro West/Mountain Park and the same into central Tucson. Overall, I highly recommend this site for any avid BLM camper who is accustomed to no amenities. This may be my favorite BLM site I’ve ever camped.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CANCEL!!!

I booked a week stay at this resort. They charged my credit card the usual one night stay, until check in. NO NOT BOOK at this resort IF there is the slightest chance that you MAY HAVE TO CANCEL! Our dates were Jan.13-19. On the 10th, I called and spoke with Ashley, and informed her that we had to cancel does to an emergency. She informed me that she would cancel the reservation and REFUND me the one night charge….AND send me an email for my records. On the next day,the 11th, STILL within the 48 hour cancellation policy, I had received NO EMAIL. I called back and spoke with Diana, informed her about my call to Ashley the day before. Diana said she would cancel the charge and send e an email. NONE. On the 12th, I called THREE times and reached the answering service. I left messages. I called my credit card company, explained what was happening, and opened a FRAUD case. On the 13th, I saw that the Casa Grande Resort, CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN on Jan. 12th! I called the credit card company, reported the second charge as FRAUD. I have contacted this resort THREE more times, and my call goes straight to voice mail. They DO NOT call you back as they state. I have RV'd all over America for years, and have NEVER had such a bBAD experience in cancelling a booking. DO NO STAY HERE, if there is any chance that you may have to cancel. Completely NON PROFESSIONAL STAFF at this place!

Cactus forest indeed

Really cool place tucked away felt like a cactus tunnel and you can't beat free. Cell service was spotty to non existent.

Beautiful Saguaros!

Relatively easy access from main road for most any vehicle, just take it slow and watch for ruts, especially after a rain.

There are many cool places to pull off and camp, but stay on established open spaces, we saw little baby things trying to grow all over the place so don’t squash them. We arrived on a Wednesday, and it was peaceful and quiet and serene until that Friday, when a group of guffawing dude-bros took up camp across the road from us. Voices carry here, especially this type of voice. The ranger drove down Pipeline Rd in a truck to check on things several times, something I always appreciate.

You can hear road noise the closer you are to the main road (W Avra Valley Rd), especially trucks driving to and from the quarry, which can sound like thunder. Beautiful landscape, saguaros everywhere, beautiful sunrise and sunset, very peaceful despite the truck noise. If we had a rig that could make it in further we would have camped further away from the road to minimize the noise. Pretty regular traffic going in and out on Pipeline Rd, campers and ATVers.

Free range cattle also in the area.

Good verizon and AT&T service.

Adults only?

My only advice here is that it’s not fun for dogs. (And maybe not fun for young kids either?) It’s incredibly prickly everywhere. Imagine that, prickly in the cactus forest? You’ll want to avoid wearing sandals too. (I found myself with a piece of a cactus stuck to my foot and then when trying to remove it I got my hand stuck to the cactus that was stuck to my foot. Tools were required. Pain, lots of pain.) Seriously, NO SANDALS. But! PROS: the saguaro cactus are huge and impressive. We really enjoyed driving through this area at sunset and seeing all the iconic cactus. But then our overnight of camping on this random BLM land was just hours of dodging prickles. It’s quite an interesting place, but fair warning, is prickly. Act accordingly.

Dirt Bike Rider's Dream!

Set in the Sonoran Desert South East of Phoenix, AZ South of Interstate 8 are acres and acres of privately owned motocross tracks. Motoland allows overnight camping, mostly dry camping.

Nice place, convenient to shopping, propane etc.

Full hookups, lots of open spaces at this time, you'll come on down. Weather is great, warm days, cool nights. Well in December anyways. Its a nice quiet campground, there is some traffic noise, but otherwise a nice spot, very convenient to about any type shopping you could need. Great place to stop in and restock, recharge, plus relax a little. Laundry, game room, fitness center, two pools, great showers. About 1/2 way between Phoenix and Tucson.

Great State Park

Just outside of Tucson but worlds away. Clean, quiet, well run.

Great location, well managed

Close enough to Tucson and areas south and an easy one to access from I-10. Clean and very well managed by cool new owners. Fabulous locally made pickled beets and eggs if not sold out. Super friendly hosts.