LeChee, ARIZONA

Most Recent LeChee Camping Reviews
Zero

Zero do not stay

Horrible

We paid for a premium deluxe site Propane tank was empty so we couldn’t grill dinner We bought wet firewood from campground to try to grill supper The site was unkept w piles of pine needles It needed a lot of upkeep Needed the pavers replaced it was an extremely hazardous situation tripping hazard as one of our party members had just had ankle surgery Giant piles of pine needles knee high by trash cans at site. Went to dump our tanks in the am and the sewer was clogged We have stayed here several times We will not return due to the rude manager girl in the office.

Poor

We reserved a premium site No gas in the bbq had to purchase firewood for our grill to make supper The site was not level and horrible! 3 huge piles of pine needles the bricks for the patio were not level and tilted over on the edge (someone can hurt themselves) The morning we decided to drain our grey water thank god we didn’t pull the black water the drain was clogged ! We were extremely disappointed The evening staff was great the morning staff was out of control

Had a blast out in Flagstaff

Went climbing out at the Pit in Flagstaff for the day, then we came and camped out not too far away! The site had plenty of trees for hammocks, as well as tent sites. It was easy to access for not just 4x4 vehicles and was a nice and quick drive from the main road.

Great Place to Exlore

This is a great little campground 2 miles outside of Winslow Arizona. It’s in the middle of a state park that has two areas of ruins. One area is located about a mile from the campground. The campground has all the amenities. There’s good distance between each of the RV sites but there’s no shade since this is grassland. This is a wonderful place to explore.

Cell Coverage: Outstanding

Solid choice as usual

Decided to do a second review of aspen because this time seems a bit different than past times. Only 1 loop of the campground was open but it sure was much louder than usual. A good amount of the campers enjoyed very music that could be heard from many campsites away so this was unfortunate. Other than that the hosts were kind as always and the site was very nice and open.

Great place to camp hike fish relax

Great place easy access large campsites with a big fire pit grill already built in forest is 30ft away and your walking in the wilderness there are a lot of ATVs around on the weekends so it will be loud and lots of traffic is the only downside but on the weekdays it’s empty and wide open we hiked about two miles into the woods and got to follow a huge herd of ELK ! What a nice surprise for the kids I give five stars dogs kids and adults we all had a blast !

Zero cell service lots of hunters but very secluded only know of hunters by the shots every now and then lake knoll is beautiful lots of Fish !! Five stars but for experienced campers only bring 4wd and a spare tire lots of awesome 4x4 trails and hiking this is camping at its best

WOW, WOW, WOW

Just stunning!! Beautiful trails and gorgeous overall. A lot of interesting information at the ruin sites. We stayed at the campground and enjoyed watching the sunset.

Great place to camp overnight.$18 for tents, running water, smallish trees, restrooms with flush toilets, extra fees for electrical hookups. The fees keep the hobos away.  I-40 and the train tracks are close enough to hear in the tent, but not loud enough to keep you awake.

The bathrooms are wiped down everyday as well as the showers which are in decent condition. The water is hot and water pressure is great.

Be careful driving in, they've filled in the cracks in the roads about a mile in, but after that there are decent sized cracks going the whole length of the road left to right. Smaller vehicles didn't seem to have a problem. But we had to drive very slowly in our RV.

Fantastic

This is a family favorite. We stayed in a new spot this time and will definitely be staying in this one again. Wouldn’t advise a trailer longer than 28 feet and no motor homes. We tried fishing but weren’t successful. Bathrooms and watet spigot is right across the street. You are able to fill up fresh water at camp host spot or the dump station has a spot for fresh water fill up. Verizon cell service is really spotty to no service at all.

Lots of sites!

We drove up to Payson spontaneously hoping we would be able to find a campsite and we went to 4 full ones before stumbling on this one. This one luckily had room and we were thrilled about that. It was $25 for the one night. The site was very accommodating too, they sell firewood at their for $8. The owners of the site also helped us get a fire going when we had trouble. The bathrooms were also clean which was nice. Overall a great campsite!

Great campground

We love this campground. It has everything you would need to camp in the woods. There is water to fill up if needed but showers available for a fee also. There are spots you can reserve 6 months in advance on the website. Amazing that there is a dump station available. We always drive to Ashurst Lake for fishing.

Great spot for a break from Interstate 40

Very nice RV park within 2 miles of I-40 near Winslow, Az. Park has about 35, nicely spaced RV pads on asphalt. Very nice restrooms with excellent showers. Many pads with electricity and water. No sewer but they have a free dump site at the entrance. Each site has planted trees and fire pits. Exploring ancient Indian ruins is a great addition to your stay.

Nice, but pit toilets are stinky

The sites are very well maintained and for it being so big, you didn’t feel cramped (although it wasn’t full). Perfect site for our first camper tow. Amenities are nice (water/dump station), showers, paved roads throughout, but the campground pit toilets are old and stinky. Will definitely be back, but will probably use our own bathroom. 😬

One of the faves

Aspen campground is our go to campground. It has all the necessary amenities for simple camping. What we like best is the paved roads and the paved bike path! Incredible to take it all the way up to the rim. Only downfall is that some spaces are quite close and reservations are slim to none at times.

One of the faves

This is camping

First time doing blm camping and holy cow!!! I could not have been more pleased. The spaces are so spread out that you feel like no one is around you! Each site is well taken care of and has a campfire ring ready to use. The exploring is endless at 195. Only downside is all dirt/gravel roads so not great for casual biking but overall I would highly recommend and will be going back soon!

Piny air and plenty of isolation

While I'd rather have been closer to the dramatic drop off of the rim, sitting a bit back on the plateau was still a nice break from the valley heat. The site was spacious and quite far from the nearest other sites. I could just barely spot a little flickering flame through the trees for the site to the south of me - an RV was there and I think I heard some young children early in the afternoon - and similarly saw a bit of distant light from the site to the north. These are nicely separated.

Sadly, not as far back from FR 84 (or the Rim Rd. itself) as would be ideal as there was some intermittent traffic noise and light during the evening but not so bad it detracted from the peace much.

There were two rock fire rings at the site but I personally thought one of them was too close to a tree to be usable. The one I did use had plenty of clearance.

Plenty of flat space for a tent and some nicely spaced trees for hammock campers.

Beautiful views, but difficult to get a site

This spot has great views since half of the sites are directly along the Mogollon Rim, but ultimately it can be tough to grab a spot since first come first serve and it’s a very well known, free campsite. The first time we visited and wanted to camp here all spots were taken. There are other spots in the area to camp in the event you don’t get a spot, you just don’t get the view of being on the rim. (See my reviews if you want to know more about FR 84 in the event you don’t get a spot at FR9350.)

The second time we came up we managed to grab a spot on the rim side of the road, spot #30, around noon. We saw one or two vehicles drive up and back the dirt road with gear in the back searching for a spot within minutes of grabbing the site, so how we managed to nab it I’m not sure—the previous campers must have left minutes before we arrived.

Because some of these sites are next to the Rim without any barrier between you and the drop off, this site may not be for those with young children or pets that wish to roam. If you do come with young kids or roaming animals it may be best to look for a spot on the far side, or the side that is not directly on the Rim.

This site has two pit style toilets at the entrance; however, we bushed it. Some sites have a picnic table but some do not— if you are not in an RV or camper and require a camp table, it is best to bring one. (Our site did not have a picnic table when we visited but we did pack a camp table and were happy we did.) In addition, it sometimes has a camp host; I did not notice a camp host the first time we drove thru but there was one there the second time when we got the chance to camp here. We did not encounter any noisy neighbors while we were here. Depending on when you visits, weather may be unpredictable. While weather was perfect during our visit in early July, I have seen and heard weather can change quickly on the Rim. It is also good to know this campsite can be very dusty; so I highly recommend bringing a pack or two of baby wipes and any allergy meds you might need. A headlamp is a good idea too since you always want to be able to see at nighttime being so close to a large drop off. Last, I have Verizon and got service at our campsite.

Good experience

Camped here this Labor Day weekend. Lots of people there but plenty of room. About a mile hike to Woods Canyon Lake. Caught plenty of delicious trout. Overall good experience. I will definitely be camping here again.

The shower spot

This place is a very well maintained campground. The sites are big. Your neighbor is not on top of you. They have bathrooms and showers which are very clean and always kept up. There is a lot of campers that come from other campsites to use the shower.

Aspen Campground

Always a great place to stay in the summer. Usually about 25 degrees cooler in then Phoenix. Close to lakes and creeks along with hiking trails.

Over priced

33$ for a primitive tent site

Woodsy

Site #15 was very open and easy to back into and right by the lake. Good shade. Our spot has a large table, metal fire ring and charcoal grill. The campsite has 26 spots. It’s fully stocked over the summer month with trout. They have kayak rentals available also and electric trolling motors are allowed on the lake. They have a small convenience store down by the lake with some essentials you may have forgot. Closest town is Forest Lake (10miles) with gas and groceries. No service with Verizon at all. Highly advise taking the trail to the rim to one of the lookouts.

Fantastic

Site #102 was very open and easy to back into. Good shade. Our spot has a large table, metal fire ring and charcoal grill. The water spigot is right across the street and the vault bathrooms are just a few spots down. The campsite has 140+ sites and over half are available to reserve 6 months ahead of time. It’s just a short walk to Woods Canyon lake. It’s fully stocked over the summer month with trout. They have kayak rentals available also and electric trolling motors are allowed on the lake. They have a small convenience store down by the lake with some essentials you may have forgot. Closest town is Forest Lake (10miles) with gas and groceries. The entire campground is paved which makes it nice for children who like to ride bikes or scooter around. No service at all at camp

Amazing!!!

This site was amazing and the host were so nice!! It was one of the quietest camps sites we been to in awhile and close to the lake and town.

Spectacular views and variable mountain weather

First review; very first time camping. I wasn't sure what to expect or if I'd even make it through the one night I'd scheduled (TheWife was confident I'd bail) and when I got drenched to the bone on my afternoon hike, it was even more in doubt. But it cleared up, mostly, and the locale was so beautiful and cool and refreshing I toughed it out.

A mix of smaller and larger, numbered spots with a decent amount of space between. The larger ones easily accommodated trailers/RVs; I think the spot I selected would have been a bit tight for anything more than a smaller popup trailer. The spots on the south side of the road are right at the edge of the Mogollon rim, so they're a bit more dangerous for pets and small children (or drunk adults) but have the advantage of being right on the rim.

I could hear a neighbor who decided to blast their music till too damn late and a bit after midnight someone incredibly inconsiderate drove slowly down the forest road honking their horn intermittently. I'm trying to convince myself they were looking for a lost friend, family member, or pet so that I don't think they were that rude. If you're looking for isolation, these spots won't necessarily give it to you, though some of the larger ones set back further from the road would clearly be better on that front.

Fire rings; plenty of flat space for tents; plenty of sturdy, well-spaced trees for hammocks.

The road's passable for most passenger cars.

Some gorgeous hiking trails right near by, including Drew Trail which you can take down the rim to pick up the Highline.

Second time here!

So I took my Dobie up and camped for a second time, just the two of us. Went up on a Friday and arrived at 3pm. I got the very last site, all the way at the end of 9350. There were big piles of branches and leaves left from last year when they thinned out the forest. Huge muddy deep ruts in the ground. Very few trees at this particular site. Also quite aways from the actual rim. Absolutely no cell service on this spot. 1.2 miles to the vault toilet, which was an easy walk.

Long story short, not the best site, but I was just glad to nab one on a Friday. Everyone was quiet by 9:30pm. My neighbors were friendly, waving and saying hello and respecting each other's space. Lots of privacy.

Lots of dispersed camping

I didn't stay at the campground because I prefer to camp alone. There are lots of dispersed camping along the first road 295 (which leads up to Knoll Lake). Coconino National Forest allows camping up to 300ft from the road. According to the rangers, bears are active in the area so it's important to follow the safety protocols. Spent the day on the lake which is well worth the extra drive to avoid the crowds at Woods Canyon. Found one spot with cell service where you turn off fr300 towards Knoll Lake.

Peaceful

Camped up here in November. Got a little cold at night but well worth the recharge I received by being up there. Actually camped on fr 208s but there is no review for it. It will take you right up to the edge of the rim for your own personal view. Picture 3 will show you how cold it got by these ice formed in the tide tracks that were not frozen the day before.