Chilchinbito, ARIZONA

Camping Arizona Chilchinbito
Most Recent Chilchinbito Camping Reviews
Appropriately named

Just like the name says, there are some amazing views from this campground. They have lots of options, tent camping, RV spots, and cabins. My family stayed in one of the cabins on the cliff on our way up into Utah. The views were beautiful and unreal. They were a little pricy, but I’d say it was worth it for the scenery.

There are some really cool hikes in the area too. Definitely check out Goulding arch and wildcat trail. The slot canyons in the area are pretty cool to see. Also, there’s a lot of cool Native American history to learn about in the area. This was an awesome place to hang around in for a couple of days.

It’s all in the name.

Pros: The view. Duh. Unbeatable. Near everything - guided tours, visitor center, restaurant, showers all within easy walking distance. The desert sand is nice and soft!

Cons: Tent sites are separated from RV’s which is nice but put together in such a small space that sites are literally on top of each other. For not even a picnic table 20$ isn’t cheap.

Surreal beauty

I can't say enough how much i loved camping at The View.

We arrived at the campground at 11:30pm and were so afraid we'd be unable to register or find our site in the dark, let alone set up our tent. Luckily, if you arrive after 10:00 or so, you can register at the hotel on-site. Staff is incredible helpful. Apparently we were not the only late arrivals; quite a few seemed to be setting up and/or showering when we arrived. And lucky for us, a high, bright moon made it easy to see and get around, and provided one of the most majestic views of the rock formations i can imagine. We kept the tent fly off to enjoy the views all night.

Parking is a few feet away from the campsites; you'll have to carry your gear in. Be aware that there are rattle snakes and scorpions in the area. Staff warned us to close bathroom doors and tent doors behind you.  We saw a snake in the morning, but it did not look like a rattlesnake. Security circles around at night, which was comforting for me.

No additional costs for showers, but you do need a bathroom/shower code which you receive upon registering. Water drains slowly, causing slight flooding in the bathroom. Don't forget some shower shoes.

It felt like most families woke up early for the gorgeous sunrise, packed up, and left before the August heat set in. By 9am, seemed like everyone was gone, so we got to enjoy some solitude before the 11am checkout. Might not really be the type of heat one can camp in for multiple days.

There's a trailhead in the campground that goes near the cabin area and down into the valley. There's also a loop drive with unbeatable views. Campground lives up to it's name!

Best RV campground in area with access to Monument Valley and

Stayed at the RV park when visiting Monument Valley in May.  The campground is with 5 miles of the MV entrance.  Clean restrooms and great sights.  Even a few hiking trails off the back of their property,  They also provide complimentary transportation to their grocery store, John Wayne Movie theater, Restaurant and Museum/souvenir shop.  Sights were level with water elec and sewer.  Large washeteria and basic sundry shop on location.  It is also a great location for visiting Mexican Hat, Gooseneck Turn and other regional attractions.

Expect it

Nothing is really going to jump out at you here and really say that it’s amazing or breathtaking. The view during sunset are probably beautiful but we were here on a cloudy day so we didn’t see much of that beauty. The campsite for us was a little run down and it was very dirty, which was probably just the wind. Close drive to the park and going around is so many hikes.

Nice quiet dispersed area

To find this, go north out of town and go right (east) on Mexican Hat Rock Rd. Bear left at the only fork. Road ends at the San Juan River and the suggested spots are before it ends, near the river. After sunset it was cool on a hot day, and the river made for nice foot-washing. There are several pull-outs that make decent camp sites. No services of any kind but it’s close to town and there is a decent cell signal. And the night skies are lovely, as is The Rock.

Incredible!

Stunning views from every angle. Hike-in for tents but drive-in for campers & RVs. Sunsets and the stars are breathtaking. No pets (at least for tent sites), clean bathrooms, walking distance from hotel/restaurant that they have on site. Must reserve online for peak seasons. If going to monument valley, I highly recommend stopping here!

Every Fathers Day

I have been coming to this site for the last 20 years. Took my dad there. He loved it. And this is where he had his ashes spread. So every Father’s Day my son and I make a trip here. Primitive. No amenities. But it spectacular view of the valley below.

Awesome

Great place to stay, Breathe Taking Views, Dont Miss A Chance To Stay a Night or Two

Beautiful and convenient!

Nice, easy to find campground with beautiful views!!! Wish I could have spent more time here to explore a bit more, but I have no complaints! No campfires allowed, but grills are provided on site. Loved our time here!

Great views, can be windy

Spent 3 nights here in 2 different locations. Loved it. Quiet, dispersed areas. Dirt road is well maintained but when it gets wet it can get muddy quick. Your on a cliff so winds can pick up. Plenty of spots for various sizes rigs. Great place to just enjoy sunrise or sunset. I've seen a few couples in tents so the wind is not that bad I guess.

Enjoyed it

My 1st stay was early February 2019 and it was 18 and 30mph winds. The van was rocking but I slept like a baby and was the only one there. Stayed again late April 2019 and it was full of RVs stacked against the edge so I parked away from them. Quiet night, warm, not windy at all. Just full of those pretentious RVers with their website plastered all over their rig taking selfies. It's quit the comedy to watch them shoot video(I presume for YT) never going further than the tourist plaque.

Beautiful but no fire rings

In most senses, this camp ground is great. Sunset View offers a beautiful setting, a camper service sink, flushable toilets and drinkable water. The only downside for me is the no burning except charcoal and propane stovetops. No fire rings is a no-go for me.

Beautiful but no fire rings

Visit Canyon de Chelly

Stayed here two night so we could hike and horse back ride in canyon de Chelly. This campground could be better the grasse in the site needed to be mowed. It’s a nice location close to the opening of the canyon and horseback rides are across the street. Be careful what you leave out theft here is a problem, we had our bumper hitch stolen while we were in town shopping.

FREE!

Small visitor center, water and restrooms, and three self-guided hiking trails. Beautiful area to explore.

Sunset View Campground is a very nice free campground that would typically cost at least $20 per day. During my stay, most of the campers arrived early evening and departed early morning so the campground was empty each day.

Stay limit is 7 days per year.

best kept secret in AZ

This is a fantastic campground, with water, facilities but not overrun with people, and it’s free! I stayed here on a lark a few years ago and we wound up staying two nights and visiting the Betatakin, which is a free ranger lead ruins tour. This time I went back to backpack into Keet Seal, which was amazing and the stay at NNM was a perfect way to start the trip.

No shade but very convenient

We visited Memorial Day Weekend. The campground was empty because it was HOT. The campground is a basic dirt field with only a few small trees. We took the site that had trees for shade. Each site had a picnic table and fire pit. The campground has a cute history and fun touristy things to check out… and it's convenience to Monument Valley is superb. Although the views from our site were less than desirable, the rest of the campground offered picturesque scenes of the nearby "monuments."

Hidden Gem of Arizona!

First: it’s FREE! No cost to camp at this gorgeous national monument with facilities! When we visited in June, we were among a small crowd of campers. We have a tent and we were very comfortable under the Northern Arizona sky.

Great views

If you get to the campgrounds early enough you can set up a tent at the edge. This way you will have a clear view of Monument Valley with no other tents or distractions in the way. Restrooms are clean and close by, so you can walk to them from the campsite. However, it was a little noisy at night because you're camping near the parking lot and some people come late in the evening to set up.

I FEEL BAD GIVING A 1 STAR

… As far as campgrounds go, I would not choose this spot. It is close to a scenic national monument and is located right at the entrance and is easy to get in and out of. That is where the positives end. It is sparse and fairly packed. It doesn't have a ton of vegetation as it is in the desert so expert dirty and hot. The monument itself is worth experiencing but I wouldn't plan for it to be a destination, just a pit stop. I won't stay here again.

Great Campsite!

I camped here for a geology field trip with NAU. The following day we got a tour of the monument which was awesome! I loved the hike in and out. The campsite itself was scenic and quiet.

Oasis in the desert

Free pull in spots great for catching some zs while driving through. Beautiful landscaping and nice restrooms. Cowboy camped here on the way to Moab.

New Years Eve

I spent New Year’s Eve at this park and it was absolutely beautiful!

One of my favorite places, breathtaking views

This campground is beautiful, it’s up the mountain and I’m not sure how big of camper can get there, we pulled our 21ft and probably wouldn’t take anything bigger, the scenery is breathtaking and it’s very worth the drive!! A must see place, and the people at visitor center are so nice and informative.

Dispersed camping with stunning views

Free dispersed camping on BLM land. If you don't want to back track and are continuing south, the only road down is very steep and winding and you'll want to take it slow. Well maintained dirt road is the only way to get there. To get your vehicle closer to the edge for a better view may require 4WD vehicles.

Overlooks the mittens. Separate tent sites. RV sites line up and face East.

RV and campervan sites line up and face East for a sunrise view of the Mittens. There is a separate tent location below the RV sites. Each site has a picnic table. No tree cover or shade. There is a code accessed bathhouse with flush toilets, sinks, and showers. Showers have a changing area which could benefit from hooks or a bench. The greatest benefit is the superior view!

The Wildcat Trail (3.7) miles is s great hike in the morning or evening when the sun isn’t directly overhead it took is a few hours at a slow pace to take plenty of pictures.

While in MV we took in two adventures, horseback riding and a Jeep tour. The two hour horseback tour was with the Dinah Riding Stable between point 4-5 on the scenic drive. The Navajo guide provided information on area history and the specific lore around spires and buttes. My daughter, who is an experienced rider, was able to run her horse up the trail while my son and I hung back at a trot- walk.

The three hour jeep tour was with Majestic Adventures and included a guide who shared generations of stories based on Navajo culture. She played a flute under a caved dome and took us to a traditional Hogan to learn about living in MV.

New KOA, gonna be pretty good after it's finished

This is a New KOA during our stay the had some working being done still, they have just finished the bathrooms and showers, the road was still also being worked on, but was fine to drive in my car. It's very close to the actual park entrance only a few miles away, the wifi is spotty at best, and our electrical on our tent site was not yet up and running, they only had fire would for sale, as they were putting a small store together, and the road noise is not bad but it's right by the main roadway, with that all being said, all can easily be put aside as the VIEW…..AMAZING!!!

The bathrooms and showers had very nice materials in them, they were also putting together the kids playground, I plan to come back next year when hopefully it's complete. For the 3 night stay Under $120 it was perfect, which included our grass site for two tent's a fire ring with grill insert and a picnic table. There's another cool rock structure called Mexican hat which is about 30 minutes east and if you drive a little over an hour you can visit the four corners.

Breath taking views

After traveling to Muley point later in the day than expected we needed a place to park our Campervan. We were pleasantly surprised at this small unattended campsite. The views were WONDERFUL! Vaulted toilets, no water. but good shaded covers to the picnic tables and fire ring.

Excellent

Its really awesome. The view is spectacular. The showers and washrooms are really good.