McKinley Park , ALASKA

Most Recent McKinley Park Camping Reviews
Ok place

Right off the highway, heard trucks speed by. Need to pay for showers.

Well used especially during hunting season

We got here when it was dark and on a Wednesday night in mid September we thought it would be empty -WRONG. It was pretty full. Most likely due to all the hunting. I liked the campground but there is a dog kennel on the other side of the river and the dogs bark and howl all night. And that I could have gotten used to but since I camp with my dogs they had a really hard time settling down for the night. This is a well maintained campground. But the Denali Highway you have to take to get there and we o lay went 37 miles was rough and really slow.

The beauty of Denali

This campground has a great drive that goes along with it no matter where you are coming from. Some of my favorite scenery. This is a traditional State park and is well maintained and has pit toilets.

Fantastic Camping that allows a deeper drive into the National Park

My husband and I stayed here in a rented rv for the most memorable camping experience of my life. The kids used our site as a base camp of familial safety for their backcountry permitted camping excursions. Sure enough after a hard rain, my college aged children hiked back to our site soaked head to foot after a big downpour and once-in-a-lifetime adventures. I ruined everyone's shoes trying to dry them on the fire too quickly. I should have heated rocks and put them inside the shoes with paper, but I was trying to hurry before it rained again.

We used our internal bus pass extensively, but this site is close enough to the river for taking lunch hikes along the park service road. While the sites are fairly close together, we were on an end unit and felt isolated enough from anyone else.

This was my second trip to Denali and I am glad I chose a further-in campground. I can't wait to go back.

Great CG for Denali NP Access

Please note that Riley Creek is under construction in 2020. Only a portion of the CG will be accessible and open for use and the sites open may be noisy due to construction.

Great CG. Walking distance to some easy hikes. Access to the Visitor Center, Store and Bus Depot is within walking distance.

Beautiful scenery!

So much to see! We enjoyed the bus tour that the park offered. Also simply walking around and taking everything in.

A nice cozy place

It’s a nice cozy place for a night to relax before the big bus 🚌 ride though the Denali park. Reasonable prices and great spots too some right on the river front.

Commune with nature.

A perfect Campground for your stay in Denali National Park. Beautifully wooded sites allow for you to hear nature and feel like part of the wilderness. Nightly Ranger talks add to your experience and education of the park. Walking trails help you explore the area and also connect you with the Mercantile, showers, and laundry. Picnic table and firepit with little leveling required in our site. Limited generator times but we didnt mind as it helped keep things quieter and let us hear the nature around us. Shuttle bus service is available to help get around the park. Treated as a first come first serve for site choice, check in then go select the site you like best. You are able to reserve online and it is highly recommended as they fill up quick during the summer months.

Great place to base a Denali visit from

In the late Spring NPS starts trying to plow the road to Kantishna, Riley Creek is free till around the 10th of May or the season opening weekend. Minimal services are open, even outside of the Park so go prepared…

You can drive in to mi 30, Teklanika, many people take Mtn bikes and ride the road in from there…. after the Park opens you can only drive in to mi 10 and have to take a bus to go any further…

Riley has several paved loops, large parking spots at each site (easy 2x vehicles, some trailers) level tent sites and a heavy wooden table, round fire rings w/grate.

Water and bathroom facilities for each loop, trails to the nearby Visitor Center, Train Depot, etc thru the campground which is gently rolling, wooded terrain, nice amount of elbow room around each campsite…

Some May's it's 80 degrees and blistering sun, this year it was in the low 40's, mixed rain/snow….

After the Fall road lottery the road again opens to Teklanika but snow could close it at any time…

Great campground

This is the second time I've stayed here. We came in mid-May and the facilities had just opened. We had running water and bathrooms. You can go to the Mercantile for showers ($4.50) and laundry ($4.00). This is such a great campground that we decided to stay an extra night. Very family friendly and conveniently located to everything yet quiet. All the campsites look really good and are kept up nicely. Cost is $24 per night or free out of season.